Can anyone help me plan my first ever hike?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
As the title says, I want to begin hiking in preparation for a longer trip next year.

I've spent many an overnighter camped in the woods, and I've always been a strong walker. However, I've never done consecutive nights, nor have I camped on exposed hilly terrain. I want to get a taster of what it's like.

I'm pretty confident that my fitness is adequate for an easy going few days hiking- I cross-country run around 3 times every week and I know how to travel light, so adjusting to my pack shouldn't be too tricky.

What I'm looking for is a relatively easy 2-3 day hike somewhere reasonably close to my location where (the Peak District perhaps the best option, or the Lakes, where wild camping is tolerated). As I still need to work on my map and compass skills, it has to be a well mapped and signposted route!

Thanks for reading!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you still need to work on your map and compass skills then solo(?) walking on the hills is a no no. Is there a local hill walking group you can join?

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Yeah I'm in agreement there. I plan to get out in the field somewhere local beforehand with my map and compass to get some practice in. My girlfriends dad is also hopefully going to lend me a hand, as he has tons of hiking experience. The reason that I'm trying to plan this trip now is so that I have a goal to work towards. Even so, I'd imagine that using a well marked route would give me a bit of an easier task when navigating!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
s'étonner;1146423 said:
Yeah I'm in agreement there. I plan to get out in the field somewhere local beforehand with my map and compass to get some practice in. My girlfriends dad is also hopefully going to lend me a hand, as he has tons of hiking experience. The reason that I'm trying to plan this trip now is so that I have a goal to work towards. Even so, I'd imagine that using a well marked route would give me a bit of an easier task when navigating!

Not when the weather changes and you walk off course/track. Hill walking is completely different from camping in the woods near your car, you really need to get some experience with others. How about a local Ramblers Association group near you?

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
Not when the weather changes and you walk off course/track. Hill walking is completely different from camping in the woods near your car, you really need to get some experience with others. How about a local Ramblers Association group near you?

Yeah you're right- it's all well and good thinking you know how to use a map and compass, but when you're lost, it's dark, and raining, and you have to make an accurate judgement under pressure, I'd imagine that it's a whole different ball game.

I appreciate that you're understandably concerned that I intend to go out onto the hills unprepared, but I can assure you that I won't let that happen. I've not looked into a local group but will do so. Thanks :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you are lost and its getting dark and its raining but you are equipped for camping then you stop and camp until the morning, not so?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Unless the area you stop in is unsuitable, such as a water course, dead fall area, range danger area.....
If you are completely lost then that may be your only option, but why get yourself in that state in the first place?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Join a local rambling group and get some practice 'in the dry' before heading out. They can probably give you afew good routes too.

Cam Lees

Jul 30, 2012
Suffolk
New the forum so hey everyone!!!
Saw this and my two pennies worth as a qualified expedition leader, are as follows:
Don't go out alone until you feel you can confidently pinpoint your position on a map, in most terrains and in the dark.
Look at the Ordnace Survey website, they have loads of teaching aids I use when teaching a class, if they are not there any more, hit me a PM and will email them to you.

If I have the time, would be up for swinging your way for a few of days to give you crash course, not sure if it would interest you or not, but you're already doing the important bit and looking for places to source the information from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE