Cambrian Survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just thought folk might like to read a review of the Cambrian Survivals Basic Survival course I attended way back in 2004.
I wrote the review back then and it has been looking for a home ever since....
Remember - this was a Survival course, not a Bushcraft course.
I understand that Cambrian Survival are still running this course.

CAMBRIAN SURVIVAL

It was a mixed bunch of people who met in Aberystwyth one June evening to join the Cambrian Survival “Basic Survival Course”. Amongst our number were IT workers, drivers, college lecturers, an ex-soldier, a customs man and motor mechanics. Some with no outdoor experience, and some very experienced in hiking and hill-craft, the one unifying characteristic of the group being a desire to learn how to be safer in the outdoors, especially when things go wrong.

After being guided up a maze of narrow country lanes to the training area in the woods behind Aberystwyth, we gathered around a cheerful log fire, protected from the light rain by a parachute “tipi” and listened to a site safety and sanitation briefing from Mike Jarmain, Cambrian Survival’s chief instructor.

Mike, an ex-Army Combat Survival Skills Instructor, established Cambrian Survival several years’ ago and, with popular interest in “survival” and “bushcraft” booming from media exposure such as the film “Castaway” and the BBC’s “Wildtracks”, as well as TV programmes that have directly involved Mike as a consultant and star, it is going from strength to strength.

Although Mike spent 18 years in the Army, he is also a qualified civilian teacher and the courses are not all “Rambo” or “Gung-ho” but aim at providing Realistic Survival Training relevant to any environment worldwide, providing anyone, from beginner to seasoned outdoorsman, with the skills to survive when a trip goes wrong. To this end the courses, which run year round, are challenging, educational, and fun, and even the “classroom” sessions are held outdoors.

After a round of introductions, the Course started in earnest with talks on how to keep a trip safe with proper preparation (Mike produces his own very good “trip plan” sheets – a superior version of the familiar route card idea); the priorities for survival (the will to live, food, fire, shelter etc), and recognising how the stress of a survival situation can affect you.

Even after a supper of thick, sustaining, soup and delicious homemade cake, things did not slow down and after being shown our accommodation (various designs of survival shelters built from local, natural materials) we returned for a talk and demonstration of night signalling (to call in potential rescuers) with various torches and light sources. We then had a go at moving through pitch dark woods without a torch, relying on senses other than sight (a very realistic scenario – I have in the past lost the path at night, coming in off the hill later than intended with a broken torch. In the dark twigs, mini crags and roots all pose real threats!)

We got to bed at around midnight. The next morning, after a quick brew, we listened to a talk on, and demonstration of various tools that can be carried to make survival easier. The group then had the opportunity to build their own shelters before a break for another brew and the remains of the cake. Next came fire lighting with a talk, and demonstrations of various ways of making a flame other than the obvious matches and lighter, and the students also had a go at these skills.

The pace of the course never let up, with various techniques being taught (and tried out); exercises to open our eyes to using a “survival mind set” in observation and lateral thinking, and such skills as how to find North from the stars and sun, signalling with a “heliograph” (such as a shiny metal surface or an old CD), or lengths of fabric etc to attract the attention of rescuers such as a search and rescue helicopter, acquisition and preparation of wild food (leading to a meal cooked in old tin cans turned into cookpots by the students) and, on the Sunday, after a move down from the high woods to a wooded stream side location, the dangers of dehydration and drinking untreated water, followed by water purification, improvised survival tools and equipment - and much more.

The amount of information we received on this Basic 2-Day Survival Course was staggering, and if some of the information was more applicable to surviving for extended periods of time in the kind of wilderness that no longer exists in Wales, learning a lot of the techniques we looked at would leave you a lot more likely to come out of an incident on even “tame” hills happier and healthier than might otherwise be the case.

None of the course was “fantastical” or “bogus”. Mike and his assistant, Barney, were very clear and understandable in their teaching and very approachable (none of this “I am a survival god and you will humbly listen in awe” nonsense) and all the course members found the weekend fun, instructive and well structured. Yes, we were hungry; yes we were tired, but the instruction was to the point, the food adequate (the fresh scones provided on day 2 – delicious) and everyone on the course was more than just happy. In fact many were reluctant to leave at the end of the two days, wished they were on the 5-day course and vowed to return.

One of the fun parts of the course was building and using an “Apache Sweat Lodge” type sauna, followed by a dip in the stream as a clean up before we all came away.

I have experienced several survival courses, as had the ex-soldier on the course, and we both rated Cambrian Survival’s Basic 2-day course as pretty darned good.

I can recommend the course to anyone with the remotest interest in real survival training for situations that can arise on the simplest Welsh walk to international wilderness treks.

For more information contact
Cambrian Survival, PO Box 82, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 1WH.
Tel. 01970 612969
www Cambriansurvival.co.uk

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the review John, sounds like you had a great (if a little exhausting for my tastes and abilities) time.

I've met Mike when he had a stall at the Wilderness Gathering a couple of years ago and he struck me as a very knowledgable man, with great passion. He even gave me a locust to eat at the weekend, though I much preferred the bison burger :D

Cheers

Kim

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey John that ex squaddie (The only one there in full combats!) really did enjoy the course and he's been waiting along time to read your reveiw.
It was worth waiting for and I agree with every word written.

One thing that wasn't mentioned in your review though was in the late evenings (after midnight when John was all cosey in his kennel!) you also get the chance to do some long netting (something I had never done before) with Mike to catch rabbit for the following days dinner. I went the first evening when everyone else went to bed and a couple of other lads went on the 2nd night.

The course was really very good for the beginner and not very exhaustive (it all depended on what you put into it personally), and if you visit the website you will see that there are graduated build up courses to follow eventually leading to becoming a survival instructor with the school if you pass their interviews and extended training.

I personally thoroughly recommend this course but like all other courses these days you'll have to save your pennies to pay for one as they are a little bit expensive.

Are you going to post some of the photos John? (But you can leave the river photos out if you want fella!! :D)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE