Big Stupid Grin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Well after about 2 hours I finally made fire using a bow :lmao: :lmao:

Had loads of go's trying to keep my balance, trying to stop the string from rising to the top of the drll. Then the god of fire looked down and gave me a load of black powder with a visable ember glowing away inside :1244: dropped this into a nest of tinder and gave it a good blowing......

Burnt me fingers and the grass but the smile, WELL YOU KNOW

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Miniac,
Well done. Got my first ember and fire recently too. One of lifes milestones and a great feeling of achievement.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
well done mate,
i've seen people with on hand expert advice and the right kit struggle for a whole week! :You_Rock_

but.....don't stop!

do it again tomorrow, and in a couple of days, then another couple, till you get more confident, eventually you will be able to do it each time!

well done, next the hand drill! ;)

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
RAPPLEBY2000,

Were you on a Woodsmoke Woodlander course a couple of years ago? That sounds like a description of me. :)

20 minutes before the end of the course before I managed it! :D
Mrs Neanderthal had managed it on day 1, so no pressure!

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Thanks guys!!!!

I have no idea what woods I used. I found a strong bow shape that didnt bend to much, a staight piece about 1 inch thick that felt hard and split a round that was about 3 inches across. I packed a load of grass and leaves in the top, and went for it.

The thing I found the hardest was keeping the string in the middle of the drill, it keeped rising up the top of the bearing block and throwing the drill across the garden. It pays to practice ALOT I have spent an hour or so every weekend for a month or so.

Thanks to all those before me, without their experiances that they posted here, I could still be working at it. :notworthy

Yes I was completely knackered! Good job the football was on, that allways helps me to sleep!! :rolleyes:

Hand drill? Bring it on :lmao: well when the stupid grin fades away.........

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
well done, all of us who have done it remember the joy of your first fire by friction with a warm glow of pride.

you now carry fire with you wherever you go

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Goose said:
That is always the test, an audience! :You_Rock_
Well done, I still haven't done it with an audience! :(

Try the Egyptian string method, that takes out one of the potential troubles: breaking bow-string. I'm sure there are strings that do not break (rawhide?), but my cotton string :eek: oops, off topic! ehh, my nylon BOW-string broke at first demonstration :aargh4:
With my new Egyption style string it doe'sn't wear and I've made several demo's since.

Didn't have much ember with my hand drill yet .........
lot's of smoke and piles of dust, but no ember.

Good luck
Bob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE