Beech nut recipies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Whilst walking the dog through a mates parents woods today we spotted a beech tree fairly laden with nuts (not yet ripe) and I got to wondering what kind of stuff I could make with them when they are ready.

Anyone got any ideas cos I don't have much to go on :confused:

Cheers, Regards Scott.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Well first thing is to say that only one year out of three on average will you find full, fat nuts in the beech mast you can see on the tree. In my infants school we used to devour the tasty nuts, similar to pine nuts, on those 'special' years :) Other years the mast falls but is sadly empty.

Use them as you would pine nuts (pesto for example with basil or try it with wild garlic leaves for wild flavour). They used to be fed to pigs. Also they contain a lot of oil which can be extracted by crushing and pressing. It was used for lamp fuel but is good for cooking too in salads etc. Goes rancid fairly quickly though.

I suggest lightly toasting them and serving with a light sprinkle of seas salt. Nice :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Moonraker said:
Well first thing is to say that only one year out of three on average will you find full, fat nuts in the beech mast you can see on the tree. In my infants school we used to devour the tasty nuts, similar to pine nuts, on those 'special' years :) Other years the mast falls but is sadly empty.

Use them as you would pine nuts (pesto for example with basil or try it with wild garlic leaves for wild flavour). They used to be fed to pigs. Also they contain a lot of oil which can be extracted by crushing and pressing. It was used for lamp fuel but is good for cooking too in salads etc. Goes rancid fairly quickly though.

I suggest lightly toasting them and serving with a light sprinkle of seas salt. Nice :)

Cool, I might just gove that a bash when they are ready, theres nuts in em this year cos I checked :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
bang a couple of handsfull into a bannock mix. Add some walnut oil. If you can find some, use 50/50 chestnut flour/self raising flour. Yum

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE