Anyone ever flat grind a SWAK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys, got my SWAK and having been playing with it for a week or so. I gotta say I am not a fan of the Scandi grind. I hate sharpening it, I am used to a flat ground blade with secondary bevel. I am wondering if anyone has ever flat ground from spine down to the edge a SWAK? Would anyone try this?

If anyone wants a SWAK to try it out on contact me as I am willing to take a chance on it working or not, as things sit I am not going to use this knife unless I can get it flat ground, or I will get ride of it.

Any info or help would be great.

Thanks

:chill:

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
makes my wrist feel weird when sharpening, I have a bad shoulder from an old injury and I have found that the only way I can now sharpen knives is with a guided system. Holding an exact angle makes my hand spasm a little so it is very hard/painful.

I think with a full flat ground knife it would be easier on my wrist.

Really not sure what to do, hopefully someone here (in Nova Scotia I mean) or on the other forums I listed it on will want it.

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Geoffrey said:
Holding an exact angle makes my hand spasm a little so it is very hard/painful.
Geoffrey.

Geoffrey, I'm a little confused by this because there is no angle to hold. You just lay the bevel flat on a stone and stroke away. That is one of the cool aspects of the scandi grind.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
well there is an angle to hold but its the flat bevel, it just is a weird angle for my hand. Having spent the better part of the past 2 years in physio, massage, and chiropractic treatments, my shoulder is a mess. This angle of the blade to the stone is just uncomfortable for me to hold. I now that it isn't a freehand angle, but the angle of the blade to stone is just painful.

I guess its more just the way that I have to hold my hand that is the problem. I have tried holding the stone or strop in my other hand but it still hurts. Just too painful for me to want to do on any kinda of regular basis. I find that with my guided Gatco system it does't hurt at all, so that is the reason that I either want to get this flat ground or get rid of it for a knife that I can use with the Gatco.

B

bombadil

:oops: OK, forgive my ignorance, but up til now I thought I knew what a SWAK was. (Swiss army knife).
I can't imagine being able to put a scandi grind on one, so what the heck is it???

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Thanks, what does anyone think of using sandpaper for sharpening? This might be easier to work with since it is light and much easier to weild. Any particular grit and brand?

Thanks.

Mar 7, 2004
Geoffrey said:
Thanks, what does anyone think of using sandpaper for sharpening? This might be easier to work with since it is light and much easier to weild. Any particular grit and brand?

Thanks.

I like using sandpaper, on a mousepad (for convex grinds/edges DON'T press hard it will not work that well) on masonite, on cardboard or on a dowel (can do recurves and serrations with that.

For sharpening in the field I use 600 -800 for reshaping everything from 150 to 2000

I bought a bunch of the sticky back kind from handamerican.

Auto stores and refinishing places have the higher numbered grit if you REALLY want to polish that edge. Then Green polishing compound and fome simichrome.

Web

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE