Another model in the Schrade Extreme Survival line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I got the chance to check out another in the Schrade Extreme Survival line.
This is the SCHF4, and it has a 6.75 inch Tanto blade of CR7 steel (which I am unfamiliar with) and a hard plastic coated Aluminum handle.

PICT0180.jpg

It comes in a hard plastic sheath which is held in a nylon webbing harness by the use of a snap closure mounted on the back of the hard sheath and front of the webbing and a hook and loop fastener on the wide primary sheath retaining strap near the top, and has a snap closure on a narrower secondary retainer near the bottom.

sheathinharness.jpg

sheathandharness.jpg

The sheath is M.O.L.L.E. compatible and offers a various carry options.

backofsheath.jpg

Out of the box just checking the knife and sheath out...While I like the optionally configurable sheath system, I personally think it would be better if the main sheath retaining strap used snap closures on the outside as that would be more secure and I think it would be better if the working end of the straps faced the opposite direction (to the rear) as facing forward it is much more likely to get pulled open by vines and brush. Also I see one issue with the knife retaining strap. While it does have a snap closure it is positioned in such away as to allow the knife to be partially drawn while snapped closed. This wouldn’t be much of an issue in most instances however if the knife were carried in an inverted position on a M.O.L.L.E. vest or on the shoulder strap of an L.C.E. the knife will work it’s way down exposing 1.5 inches of very sharp serrations, that could cause a nasty little wound that would be better avoided. This part can be easily fixed by cutting the thread holding the strap and moving the retainer down and inch and a half.

PICT0243.jpg

As for the knife it’s self it feels very solid and is VERY sharp. It handles cutting braided cord like it is just thread and it easily and cleanly slices through webbing with either edge, or the primary and secondary points.

cuttingwebbing.jpg

cutwebbing.jpg

It has a good balance point.

Balancepoint.jpg

It handles chopping pretty well. The handle is mildly textured and grooved to enhance the grip and is easier to keep a grip on than I first expected feeling the hardness, though we'll see later on in the summer how it does with sweaty hands. It does have a nice swell on the end of the pommel which helps keep a good grip when chopping. And it has good temperature properties so far, warms up quick in the hand. It also has a screw in one side but removing the screw I wasn't able to pull or tap (did not try to hammer it off) the handle off so I'm not sure what's up with that.

PICT0251.jpg

It made quick work of chopping through these hardwood limbs.

PICT0244.jpg

PICT0245.jpg

Chopping.jpg

And splitting them was no problem at all

PICT0248.jpg

PICT0247.jpg

PICT0249.jpg

With no damage to the blade or even the finish, and no loosening of the handle at all

nodamagetospine.jpg

It has a 2.75 inch section of very sharp serrations.

PICT0177.jpg

That easily cut through this ¼ inch plywood like a small saw.

sharpserrationssawing.jpg

And it did well on penetration with multiple plunges through this ¼ inch plywood with only very minor, only a few thousandths of an inch, tip failure.

through25plywood.jpg

PICT0252.jpg

And after all that it’s still shaving sharp.

PICT0206.jpg

Other than some issues I have with the sheath, it's a decent knife, especially if you weigh in that it goes for around $37.00 on line and about $50.00 retail. I think it’ll be a good knife to add to the user group. I'll see how it holds up over time.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Nice work again there Mistwalker,I used to have the EICKHORN KM2000 knife that's this one seems to be a copy of,and it was a great all-rounder considering it was a Combat/Survival knife

Nice work again there Mistwalker,I used to have the EICKHORN KM2000 knife that's this one seems to be a copy of,and it was a great all-rounder considering it was a Combat/Survival knife

Thanks, I had never seen the Eickhorn KM2000 until I did the review on this knife and yes it is pretty much an exact copy except that this one is CR7 steel (which I've never heard of) and the KM2000 is forged 440. I was surprised to learn the KM2000 was 440 but I'd love to check it out in the woods, I have an affinity for German made knives.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a Cold Steel tanto that works fairly well as an all-round knife. I have had it probably 10 years. The tanto style of blade tip is virtually unbreakable. I can't imagine what kind of abuse it would take to harm the tip. It came extremely sharp and has been easy to maintain that way. Having said all that, I don't think it is the best choice as a bushcraft tool. The point, while well designed to penetrate does not lend itself to careful slicing. (say, cutting bark off of a tree. or skinning an animal.) Since it lacks the handguard pictured on the Schrade above, it is somewhat more useful in a bushcraft setting, but still wouldn't be my first choice.

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Hi Mistwalker

Nice knife

I've got a very similar Smith & Wesson knife, but without the serrations on the blade.

It too is a tough piece of kit, but the sheath is a lot different and would not have the problem of the handle working it's way down to expose the blade.

As you said though, little things like that can be modified, it's the quality of the cutting part of the tool that is really important.

Regards

Phill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE