Acorn cup whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Longstrider said:
With the site filled with folks doing their stuff, using edged tools of all sorts and sizes, practicing archery and the like, the possiblity ( thankfully avoided I believe) of someone badly injuring themselves or someone else was ever present. Why then, did the group of archers I interrupted by emerging from the bushes to ask "Who blew three?" seem so surprised that I had left what I was doing to respond to the internationally known distress signal of three successive blasts on a whistle ? It turned out to be a small boy who had been allowed to do it by a parent "as practice". :banghead:

We are suposed to be bushcrafters, outdoorsmen (and ladies). Would we think to set off a red flare at sea "as practice", then look surprised when the lifeboatmen arrived ?

You've made a valid point regarding safety Longstrider.
Going off topic. If I may make a correction: The International Distress Signal is 6 shouts OR torch flashes OR whistle blasts repeated at one minute intervals. The reply is 3 shouts, flashes or blasts at minute intervals. However...in the USA its 3 whistle blasts...etc....so much for the "International Distress Signal" :rolleyes:

It would have been better to allow the kid to do one load whistle and then be told that if in trouble repeat that 5 more times.

F

Freds Dad

Thank you for the acorn cap whistle idea. I will show my Scouts and possible the Cub pack.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Ever since I got the angle of my thumbs right I've been "fweeping" away
as quietly as possible in my flat with my acorn cup whistle. Not easy :)

Thanks for this thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE