Acorn coffee

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have just had my first go at making Acorn "coffee" - and if anything I find it better than Dandelion "coffee".
I followed a recipe passed down to me through the family...
Pick your Acorns green - just when a gentle sqeeze will pop them out of their cups
Acorns.jpg

Boil the acorns in water for 15- 20 mins to remove some of the tannins an make husking them easier
peelingtheboiledAcorns.jpg

Dry the acorns then roast them - I did mine under the grill....
dryAcorns.jpg

Then grind them - the pictures lie...the acorns are actually dark brown - not carbon black!
Grindingtheacorncoffeeafterroasting.jpg

groundacorncoffee.jpg

then treat the acorn powder like ground coffee - filter and milk/sugar to taste :)
FilteringtheAcorncoffee.jpg

FilteredAcorncoffee.jpg

OK - it is not coffee but it is a nice drink - nicer than Dandelion coffee in my book!You could do this over a fire in the woods - but it is raining out there! :D
Acorncoffeemilkandtwosugars.jpg

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff John, that looks much better than when I tried it

I think I went wrong on just about every step :)

We picked them up off the floor when they were brown, we took them back and peeled them, popped them in a pan and roasted them for about half an hour. We ground down what was left and then put it through a paper coffee filter. Not too cracking I tell ya

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I've seen the green nuts crushed a little, then hung in a flowing stream in a muslin bag overnight to leach out some of the tannins. But boiling for 20 minutes seems easier!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Maybe a stupid question, but why not use the brown acorns?
These are the ones that are ripe, right?

Unfortunately very little acorns up here...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Maybe a stupid question, but why not use the brown acorns?
These are the ones that are ripe, right?

Unfortunately very little acorns up here...
It seems that using green Acorns reduces the amount of bitter tannins in the drink....

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Might give this a bash actually, Tried Goosegrass coffee the other week, i think we over toasted it tbh but it was still and interesting drink, a lot harder and time consuming to collect then acorns mind.
ta
pete

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
cheers for sharing this John. does it have a coffee like kick ? ive seen acorn drinks described as 'warmers' as opposed to coffee.

if u can find my filter for my old jetboil, I'll try your recipe an compare it to Mr Hamiltons. for his you have to dry the corns for a day or two ! so this makes yours a more practical trail brew ;)
thankyou

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
No kick - unfortunately!
I dried mine in a dehydrator for speed...but I think you can force dry them over a slow heat in a frying pan....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE