About to make a strop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Glue the leather rough side up, smooth side to the wood. Not tryed Halford's own compound but I'm sure you'll still get great results. Strops are great, they make all the difference. I spent a couple hours honing and stropping 5 straight razors last night. Perfect end result. Have fun...

forestwalker

It is my understanding that most polishing pastes will work more or less well. Autosol is easilly available to me, so that is what I use on all my strops.

I have three strops.

1. A peice of an old belt, with a loop in one end for hanging over something and a handle in the other for pulling on. With this setup you get a slight bend to the strop no matter what you do, which means that the edge wil be just a wee bit rounded. This could be an advantage for some applications, such as a general use knife

2. A piece of relatively thin leather glued flesh side up on a piece of plywood. Flatter than the first, but still micro-rounding the edge slightly.

3. A piece of pine, planed flat and with Autosol on it. Mirror edge, mirror edge on the blade, who is the flattest of them all?

The third one also have a rounded edge, where I can strop the inside of spoon knives and such tools.

Well, actually I have four, the fourth one being a commercial one I found in a second hand shop, with leather one one side and balsa wood on the other. If I ever get around to using a straight razor...

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
how wide should my strop be? all of my knives are scandi and flat grind so maybe i should use something firmer than leather??

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I made a couple a while back. I used oak offcuts and contact adhesive to stick a strip of leather to each of them. Still going after several years...
stropsgu2.jpg

They are about 8" long by 1.75" wide (the leather bit, that is).

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
swmbo (reading this thread title over my shoulder) suggests annoying your daughter - seems to quickly create a strop in our house :surrender:

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
on a serious note though I have used tcut, autosol and various polishing compounds and they all do the job (as does 'naked' leather) I tend to make 2 at a time, one soothe side down that I use autosol on and the other I use to finish with the smooth side up

horses for courses I guess - try it and see how it works for you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE