a magnifying glass out of resin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Just curious, (and living in a resin-less part of Holland);

would it be possible to turn a lump of clear resin into a magnifying lens, of a quality good enough for firelighting?
Shaping the sphere could (well, in theory :rolleyes: ) be done by either sanding & polishing or melting & moulding (& off course polishing).

Your thoughts please,

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have absolutely no idea....I have heard of the idea of carving a lens from ice...and heard others say you get a cold wet hand.....I like the resin idea...if anyone can find me a big enough lump I'd love to try it and publish some pictures!

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And if you heat it up it melts and goes sticky :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy.....who's been making medieval scented beads using resin, etc....it's a b*gger to get out of the coffee grinder, sticks like varnish :(

Back in the old days we would mount larger specimens in hollowed slides for microscope work and fill the rest of the hollow with Canada Balsam - the resin out of balsam fir trees. It sets clear and has same refractive index as glass. So It would be theoretically possible given a mold and some basam resin. Other resins are sticky even when set and aren't clear.
I've got a pic up in the firecraft section showing popping balsam blisters to use with lichen for tinder. Messy business! Resin from leaves and other parts of tree turns everything black and is really messy.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fantastic stuff.....Cheers DOC...you just kniow I'm going to have to try this dont you?

Red

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Toddy said:
And if you heat it up it melts and goes sticky :eek:

Cheers,
Toddy.....who's been making medieval scented beads using resin, etc....it's a b*gger to get out of the coffee grinder, sticks like varnish :(

Toddy - if you mix a little finely ground charcoal in with the resin while its melted, it forms a glassy black non-sticky when it dries (same technique as is used in making pitch as a glue). This can be more easily shaped and rolled into beads, still carrying the scent but not anywhere near as sticky to work with or wear :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was trying a medieval recipe and it stays a deep pink colour from ground rose petals, but I am so tempted to try the charcoal. Thanks Match.

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The pigment in cherry resin would rob all the light wouldn't it?

It's pretty clear and the dry stuff can be polished to the extent of making a lens. The surface goes white just like stone but wet it and whammo, it's really quite clear indeed.
I've seen resin so light in pigment that it's more yellow but all I have here is the usual amber.

Canada Balsam sounds like a trip to the botanic gardens. I don't know one fir from another but can't recall ever seeing clear resin.
That would be the way to do it though. Big dod of clear resin, dry it and if it's anything like cherry then grinding and polishing it would be a joy compared to a rock crystal pebble.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I recall that Canadian Balsam was used by nautical instrument makers, to join bits of prism , as in Bino,s.

Trouble was, the alignment had to be exact, the first try, there was no second chance. So, repairs were a bit chancy.

But I dunno if the stuff would mould.

Ceeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've got some chunks of purified gum arabic in crystal form. Theoretically if it's dissolve in hot water and then cast and allowed to dry it might make a lens....no idea whether it would work though.
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE