10 must know primitive skills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Hopefully 5-10 years down the line in hoping to get a job instructing bushcraft, in not personally much of a fan ofmodern bushcraft preferring primitive skills and I've written down 10 areas of study which in focusing on which will hopefully be a good list.

I thought id share my list and see what others would add or take away.

1. Clothing, ability to make,vrepair and maintain, mainly focused on buckskin clothing butbtrass capes etc are included
2. Percussion fire lighting, in various available forms, this includes the ability to make and use tinders mainly from filungi
3. From permanent to 1 night shelter
4 using flint and other available materials to make cutting tools
5. Cordage, focusing on lime, willow, grass, nettles, thistles, brambles, rosebay williwherb, also including methods of binding, roots, authors, knots and splices, nets etc
6.Fire as a tool, from making boiling vessels, processing wood, splitting antler etc
7 , hunting, trapping and fishing,bthis inclusldes trapping and game prep, snaring, varios traps, bow and arrow making
8. Containers, baskets( various forms) bark, wood and animal products
9 medicine, good knowledge of medications nap plants and there uses
10. Friction fire

Obviously the headings on the list contain many more specific skills than I've said and although I consider the list to be in a good order, you can kill a deer if you can't track or hunt and you can't use a bowdrill olif you can't make cordage.

Certain things like shoe making would be better replaced by training in being shoeless, each individual subject could take a lifetime to become very gd at but I aim to become proficient with all of them.

Anything you'd add or change

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would cover the fire in one sitting. Flint and steel, flint and iron pyrite, quarts on quarts, fire by friction including all available methods (bow, had drill, plough ect) and cover natural tinders too.

If you spent a year in depth on each of the subjects you mention (rather than doing it all at the same time) 10 years down the line, you would be very accomplished!

Thats what I plan on next year. One specific subject.

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE