Øyo - 7510 - Viking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Anyone had any experience of this Axe?

http://www.oeyo.no/comweb.asp?segment=1&ID=19

Made of stainless Sandvik steel.

Hardness: 54 Rockwell
Cutting edge: 70 mm.
Handle: 285 mm
Overall length: 325 mm.
Weight: 500 gramms.
Leather sheath, with lock ring.

About £50 http://www.knife-heaven-shop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/26_29_79/products_id/285

Or this one?

Øyo - 7520 - Langedrag http://www.knife-heaven-shop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/26_29_79/products_id/284

Øyo-allround-Ax named after and used at Langedrag.
Langedrag is a very special nature-park & nature-school in Norway.
Not very far from where Øyo is situated.

Made of stainless Sandvik steel.

Hardness: 54 Rockwell
Cutting edge: 70 mm.
Handle: 355 mm
Overall length: 410 mm.
Weight: 680 gramms.
Leather sheath, with lock ring.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Hi
I have the Øyo viking axe. I`ve replaced the haft on it because the one it came with was crap. The grain running from side to side instead of parallel to the head. And besides I wanted a longer axe. Now it has a 60 cm long hickory haft.
I also made the edge grind a little more "scandi". It came out of the box with a saber (convex) grind.
I tought that was a little too blunt for my use. Now it is sharp and cuts wood like a charm. I`ve not used it much cleaving wood and it is possible it would do better with it`s original edge.
The downside of the axe, IMO, is that it is a little too light. It suits my use, but as a camping axe it could been a little heavier, possibly like the Langedrag.

The axe head is a copy of a viking axe head found not far from the Øyo factory.

ACFBAA9Zayny.JPG

Tor Helge

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Hi
I have the Øyo viking axe. I`ve replaced the haft on it because the one it came with was crap. The grain running from side to side instead of parallel to the head. And besides I wanted a longer axe. Now it has a 60 cm long hickory haft.
I also made the edge grind a little more "scandi". It came out of the box with a saber (convex) grind.
I tought that was a little too blunt for my use. Now it is sharp and cuts wood like a charm. I`ve not used it much cleaving wood and it is possible it would do better with it`s original edge.
The downside of the axe, IMO, is that it is a little too light. It suits my use, but as a camping axe it could been a little heavier, possibly like the Langedrag.

The axe head is a copy of a viking axe head found not far from the Øyo factory.

ACFBAA9Zayny.JPG

Tor Helge

Thanks Tor for the info. Any views on the Langedrag as an alternative to the GB Small Forest Axe?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
I have no knowledge of the Langedrag, but if you are considering spending £50 then you might as well get a GB FSA - the cheapest I found was £43.50. Alternatively a Wetterlings Large Forrest Axe from the USA would set you back about £30 including postage - but that said, there does appear to be a bit of luck involved in getting a Wetterlings: To quote the master:

A word of caution (from a bloke who has Green Mans Wetterlings Forest Axe proppped up beside him). If you aren't confident completely re-profiling an axe and re-finishing the helve , please don't buy a Wetterlings from the internet. Of the last three I have seen I wouldn't have bought any of them. Don't get me wrong, I have Wetterlings myself, but lately their QC is dreadful (ask Heath or TGM).

You have been warned!

Red

I was lucky - the one I just got was in pretty good nick, it just needed a bit of tuning up on the sharpness front - and a new sheath (the factory one isn't much cop IMO), but photo's of Green Mans before BR worked his magic really are gruesome

Hope that helps

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE