Woodland hides / shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
Woodland hide / shelter

has anyone made 1 of these out of natural resources ? I would be interested to see some of your ideas and designs etc , anyone got any pictures ? I have a location where i would like to build 1 for wildlife observing, I was thinking about making a frame from hazel but want to avoid synthetic materials for the roof/ sides .

any ideas ?

knightfisher

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Roofing is always the problem with limited natural rescources. Whilst an old tarp isnt the most natural material it can save a lot of leaves, shingles, straw, earth etc.
The frame can be made from hazel and bound with what ever cordage you can russle up suck as wych elm, nettle, lime etc.

I have made a few shelters, some even with a stove and chimney! Great in winter.

If you get stuck ill dig out some pictures and posts from here.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
If you want to keep it looking natural but would also like it to be waterproof you could compromise and use a tarp as a roof and cover it with debris/branches/dead bracken etc. It doesn't take anywhere near as much effort to create what looks wholly natural but has a hidden waterproof liner.

Knightfisher8

Forager
Nov 17, 2010
Scotland
iv found a 6ft sq of waterproof camo material which seems appealing !

Iv also thought about digging a square about 6ft square and about 4ft deep and have 3ft showing on the suface for a better camo but it might fill up with water being in scotland!!

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I reckon you'd be best avoiding digging. You would more than likely find it would end up filling up with water seeping out of the walls. You might also have to make it more securable so that you don't end up with small wildlife getting in and getting trapped. I reckon making it smaller would be best as you'd be spending most of your time sitting, and make it easier to heat in cold weather.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
what materials do you have to use, the hazle will be good for the poles but what do you have for the roofing??????

also if you have enough dead or live wood to cut why not put a made bed in place or raised platform to kip on and do crafts........

regards..

chris................................................................

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
gowersponger
[/URL][/IMG]

gowersponger
[/URL][/IMG]

gowersponger
[/URL][/IMG]

I have made quite a few shelters from my natural surroundings but dont have pics and its typical that the better ones I made, I also didnt have the camera with me at the time! The pic of the snow dome was made in the December snow 2010 great fun and the kids loved to play in it. The pic of me in the leafy shelter is my first ever attempt at a shelter! The last one is of me in a lime kiln which just goes to show that you can use the natural sources that were already there to spend a night in! I am a great lover of the "chuck an old tarp over a fallen tree" sort of shelter too. Its a lot easier and makes for a dry night! I have seen a lot of different types of shelter that have been posted on here by other members of the forum that look amazing! :camping:

D

DarkHorse

Where would you buy the plastic from for water proofing in the UK ?

May be hunt around some industrial estates first to look for discarded plastic that can be recycled.

D

DarkHorse

[video=youtube;VA15YnFDIDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA15YnFDIDw[/video]

Found these geo domes - very cool!

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
You are in Dorset?

Do you have an In-excess shop anywhere near you?

Tarps big enough for shelters in camo colours can often be bought ther for about £3.

Huge ones go for up to £50, but thats enough to build a set of sails for my boat lol.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
iv found a 6ft sq of waterproof camo material which seems appealing !

Iv also thought about digging a square about 6ft square and about 4ft deep and have 3ft showing on the suface for a better camo but it might fill up with water being in scotland!!

If you do embark on this, try it after last light with no torch on. Depending on the moon state it is possible, still a pita though. At Strone camp there was a purpose built OP for how to do lessions.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
[video=youtube;VA15YnFDIDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA15YnFDIDw[/video]

Found these geo domes - very cool!

not sure if this morgans spiced is a tripy version or you sound like that american bloke who speakes through a whell chair,soz for the spelling,.looks a good shelter though. no offence made in this as hes the only bloke so far to post a vid ,,niceone man,,.

D

DarkHorse

You are in Dorset?

Do you have an In-excess shop anywhere near you?

Tarps big enough for shelters in camo colours can often be bought ther for about £3.

Huge ones go for up to £50, but thats enough to build a set of sails for my boat lol.

Nice thanks! Thats super cheap. I'll have to find that shop now :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Machine Mart also sell camo tarps .
I once used one as a cover for my shed roof , the wind blew the felt off so i put a camo tarp on top .
lasted a whole year till i could afford to fix it .

Craig............

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE