Wood-turning - how to make your own treadle lathe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
I had a go at making a wooden bowl by burning a log this week... it was a really nice way of sitting in the sunshine not thinking about anything in particular... what it wasn't was an efficient way of making anything.

So! I had a look online and found this pattern for a make-your-own treadle lathe.

http://www.manytracks.com/lathe/lathe.pdf

Now... I don't have the space to make one and I've put it on my 'one day' list, but I thought I'd throw it out there and hope someone else might pick it up and do beautiful things with it :) Or see if anyone has different/ better designs or ways of turning wood...

I remember seeing someone at an agricultural show with a really rough one made from split willow... but dont remember the design atall.

relfy

Nomad
Oh, yes - the 'pole lathes' in those links are much more like the one I saw at the Show... with the long foot peddle etc. The pole must have been there but I dont remember it. Thanks bearbait. Do you know what the difference is? Apart from the obvious - that the treadle lathe I showed requires you to have a lathe in the first place to make the wheels. Do they behave differently in terms of what you can produce?

relfy

Nomad
Actually now I know what I'm looking for, I'm finding loads about it and answer my own questions....... talking to myself: you can make things with handles on a pole lathe which you couldn't on an ordinary lathe, because a pole lathe is bidirectional. That's cool! I've got to have a go.

I wonder how the guy at the show tethered his to the ground. I don't remember it being heavy and he can't have buried it I don't think.

Deerman

Aug 29, 2009
North Yorks
www.hcleathers.co.uk
i went to the Galloway show a couple of weeks ago and saw this bloke the lathe is a kit and it is portable thought it was possibly the best thing at the show

lathe2.jpg

lathe1.jpg

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
oooh saw one of these a couple of years ago at a craft and arts fair. was very impressed by it, always wondered about making one ;)

relfy

Nomad
If you want a lathe but have no space for a full size one, what about a bow lathe:

Bow-lathe-1.jpg

You can read and see more about it on Fenlander's blog.

Thanks Jojo. That does look excellent and I'll give it a go! I have a feeling it won't work very well for me as I need two hands to grip properly due to arthritis. Pathetic and annoying I know - so I'll try anyway! :) I didn't get on with bow drill at all and much prefer hand drill as a technique for fire lighting, but at least with a bow lathe you aren't trying to exert downward pressure as well as bowing... definitely worth a go!

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I have a feeling it won't work very well for me as I need two hands to grip properly due to arthritis. Pathetic and annoying I know - so I'll try anyway!

Nothing at all pathetic, mate. It's a very debilitating problem. My job entails teaching woodwork skills to people who have had brain damage and/or injuries. Some are in wheelchairs, some are paralysed on one side and can only use one hand. I have a guy who does wood carving one handed and has done wood turning too. There must be a way to be found. Maybe modifying or making the tool handles so they're easier to grip and hold. A little lathe like that one could be fixed on a bench at working height, making it easier to use. Anyway, if you want help/advise, just PM me and I'll try to come up with ideas.

Also turning greenwood is easier that turning dry wood, not to mention more pleasant, in smaller size project, that should mean it's less tiring holding tools.

relfy

Nomad
Nothing at all pathetic, mate. It's a very debilitating problem. My job entails teaching woodwork skills to people who have had brain damage and/or injuries. Some are in wheelchairs, some are paralysed on one side and can only use one hand. I have a guy who does wood carving one handed and has done wood turning too. There must be a way to be found. Maybe modifying or making the tool handles so they're easier to grip and hold. A little lathe like that one could be fixed on a bench at working height, making it easier to use. Anyway, if you want help/advise, just PM me and I'll try to come up with ideas.

Also turning greenwood is easier that turning dry wood, not to mention more pleasant, in smaller size project, that should mean it's less tiring holding tools.

Gracious - I feel silly now - its nowhere near that kind of stage yet, but just seems to flair up at the slightest thing. Thanks so much for offer of help, very kind :You_Rock_ , and I will very likely be seeking your wisdom out when I get to there. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE