1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

winter sleeping out

Discussion in 'Bushcraft Chatter' started by Backyard Bushcraft, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Backyard Bushcraft

well that time of year i make stupid promises ill do for the new year that ill never do, but one of them is to go out camping at least once a month as i have bought tonnes of camping stuff so i need to use it, any who i have a tarp and a double d hamock and an army issue arctic sleeping bag with gortex cover, would i need a under blanket for the hamock i think the bag has a -40 rating and would you recomend just sleeping on ground with gortex bag and roll mat as bein a good idea for this time of year
    Jamie :red:

2. leon-b

leon-b Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

are you planning to sleep on the ground in a bivy bag without a sleeping bag, if so at this time of year you will be pretty cold
    leon

3. Backyard Bushcraft

no no ha ha sleepin bag inside it

4. JonnyP

JonnyP Full Member

no matter haw good your bag is, you will still need some insulation under you, because your body will crush the insulation underneath you....

5. Ogri the trog

Mod

HI BB,
    If you have the option, try it without the underquilt in your garden so that you can retreat indoors if you need to - Theres no shame in doing it as an experiment. Then if you really feel that it is necessary, you can save for a quilt or watch out for my Pod tutorial which I'm trying to piece together over the next few weeks!

ATB

Ogri the trog

6. fred gordon

fred gordon Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

My father used to tell me that there was an old Army saying about sleeping in a bivvy. One blanket under you is worth two over you. It's certainly been my experience that you really need good insulation from the ground in our part of the world. :eek:

7. Zodiak

Zodiak Settler

I can strongly recommend sleeping on heavey duty bubble wrap, it kept me nice and warm last weekend.

We have a bubble wrap type sleeping mat at our Scout HQ in the lost proprty box, it seems to be really tough and I doubt it would ever burst but I have no idea where to get one from :)

8. TheGreenMan

TheGreenMan New Member

Hello Jamie,

Can't offer any advice about the hammock, as I don't own one, but you won't have any problems using a sleeping mat/bag/bivi combinaton on the ground in winter, except that you might be too hot in a -40 bag in the UK! ;)

Merry Chrimbo :)
    Paul.

9. SowthEfrikan

SowthEfrikan Tenderfoot

You need some kind of insulation if sleeping on the ground, not to mention using it as protection in case the ground gets wet. Plus, it makes the ground just a little bit less hard. In a hammock, same thing except the insulation is against air. The hammock option would probably be more comfortable and it sounds as if your bag is rated beyond what you need. The suggestion about trying it out at home first is sound.

10. Ogri the trog

Mod

Finally got round to doing it, http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17722&highlight=tutorial

ATB

Ogri the trog

11. Hollis

Sleeping bags have a comfort range, Out side of that range one can be too warm or too cold. Most high end bags do not place much insulation on the bottom of the bag, once the loft is crushed (laying on it) it has no insulation value. Reason a pad is needed. Same with beds (hammocks or cotts)a insulation pad is needed in colder climates.

You can make a system of bags, Inner bags, liners, over bags, bivy bags to expand the range of comfort (temperature). Systems are heavier than a single bag design for the temperature one will be using.