1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whole Lotta Lavvu

Discussion in 'Bushcraft and survival skills' started by Darryl of Sussex, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Darryl of Sussex

Darryl of Sussex Full Member

I have been looking at alternatives to tents and so far have bought a tarp to practice with and was wondering about using a poncho as a Lavvu. It seems to be that the Polish army (obviously) has already cornered the market in making tents from ponchos, so I guess i’ll just have to buy one.

So where in the UK can I buy a Lavvu to go play with in the woods? I’m new to this and don’t know my army surplus outlets from online shops or what such things should cost, so all help is gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Darryl

Ps: i wasn’t sure if this post constitutes advice or a wanted ad., so apologies if i’ve landed it in the wrong place.

2. crosslandkelly

crosslandkelly A somewhat settled

3. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Well, you just bought a DD tarp...

For poncho tarp lavvu set ups there’s someone here whose name escapes me that’ll sew a couple of the Polish ponchos into a lavvu. While you’re on the spend, have a look at EJTrents knives. Subtle Japanese styling in a bushcraft knife, I really must find the cash for one myself. There’s an article on the home page here.

#3 Nice65, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Darryl of Sussex likes this.
  4. Darryl of Sussex

Darryl of Sussex Full Member

I think it’s a youtuber called Simon,bloke in the woods. I saw a video of his and he has made a really nice bell tent from two ponchos.

I have a Helle Egger knife; needs sharpening.

5. mousey

mousey Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

@ Nice, I was wondering how you knew it was a DD tarp he'd bought as there was no mention of the brand in his OP, then I saw a sold thread a little later :)

scottisha5 is the member who has mentioned his services modifying polish ponchos. - He's not been no for awhile though?

Nice65 and Darryl of Sussex like this.
  6. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Internet stalking him mate. :D :lmao:

Well done for remembering Andy the poncho threadman. :)

7. marksharky

marksharky New Member

You might want to check out the Hungarian version. Quality construction, treated canvas, and effective camouflage. Here is a link to one of my blog entries about my set-up and how it can be erected using a rifle (the old-school traditional way!). I've used this set up for overnight trips and it works quite well. The only drawback is that if you are tall like me (6 foot), then you have to sleep with slightly bent knees to keep your feet from poking out! I use two of the zelts (lavu's) buttoned together for a full "tent". https://sharky-fourbees.blogspot.com/2015/06/hungarian-zeltbahn-m4982-set-up-as-tent.html