Who Did This?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
I have been asked about this and thought I would tap into the collective here!

This was found on the edge of Bath at the Scout campsite.

Any idea who would have killed a deer (I think it is) and not left anything else?

Thanks

Trojan

Attachments

• e4115723-0e84-40a5-8002-4adca3805a9c.JPG
    e4115723-0e84-40a5-8002-4adca3805a9c.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 84

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's likely the deer is either road-kill or died naturally in some way and some carnivore has carried the leg off with it - could be fox, dog, badger or even possibly one of the larger carrion birds such as buzzard or raven. Nothing sinister about scattered herbivore remains; we get sheep bits scattered all over the hills here :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Deer stalkers/shooters will often remove the head and lower legs, after doing a gralloch (removing the guts). And then they would take them away to dispose of.
But, a stalker would make a neat cut at the lower part of the knee joint. That looks more like an animal had been knawing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nobody lives forever. Scavengers take dead animal remains apart very quickly.

Here, we don't bother to "dispose" of hunting gut piles. Pointless.
30 minutes to 24 hours and even the bloodied soil will be gone.
There's absolutely no logical reason to attempt to bury anything.
That deer leg bone could have been dragged for miles in the first night.

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Unless it's near a path or watercourse, the gut gralloch will probbaly be left. But the head and legs tend to get taken away.
It's tidier and less risk of media fall out from a dog walker getting one presented to them by fido.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE