1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which knot to use?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft and survival skills' started by Asa Samuel, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Asa Samuel

Asa Samuel Native

Hi, I want to make an adjustable guy line for my tarp without having to buy those guy clip things so I was wondering what knot I could use so I can adjust the tension round a peg?

Thanks for any help :D

Asa.

2. Sainty

Sainty Nomad

3. Asa Samuel

Asa Samuel Native

Excellent!

Thanks a lot.
    Asa.

4. malente

malente Life member

5. JimN

JimN Forager

I like the Pembarthy Prussik shown from Figure 6 here.

6. ickyan

ickyan Forager

7. Asa Samuel

Asa Samuel Native

Great, I've got a few knots to try out now.

Thanks everyone,
    Asa.

8. Joonsy

Joonsy Native

Hi Asa Samuel, regarding the link by member Sainty on the adjustable cawley hitch, it shows the last turn-round as going ''between'' the two strands leading from peg, personally i find that if you take that last turn-round completely ''over'' both strands from peg it is a much better knot, diagram shows all the turns going between the two sections of string from peg, my recommendation is that you take two turns ''inside'' the two strings then one last turn completely ''over'' both strings, in effect this binds the strings coming from peg close together, the last turn is finished with a pull-through to form a slip knot same as diagram for easy untying/slip knot.

9. Asa Samuel

Asa Samuel Native

Can't quite understand that, Joonsy. Any chance of a diagram?

10. Joonsy

Joonsy Native

Hi Asa Samuel, four photos below to illustrate knot as requested, the first two photos are how i like to tie knot, the second two photos illustrate the difference between the two tying methods, examine the the last turn and you will find the end of rope where it is double-backed to create a loop for slip knot for easy untying is passed completely '''OVER BOTH ENDS''' of loop to peg, in bottom/last photo you will see i have tied the knot as shown in diagram provided by Sainty's link and the last turn-round creating the slip knot goes '''BETWEEN THE TWO ENDS''' creating loop for peg. Both methods work but i prefer tying it myself as in the ''''over''' method as i think it holds better. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Silverclaws

Silverclaws Forager

That's a waggon hitch isn't it, the the knot used when tying loads onto waggons with rope ?

Adjustable guy lines, I have used prussik loops, they are good for ascending ropes when potholing I have found, so they good for the guy line situation and look so tidy.

Prussik knots can slide easily when there is no tension on the knot, but grab very well when there is tension on the knot.

12. Ogri the trog

Mod

Theres a secret missing from the link to Rays set-up method,
    If you hank your tarp lines as fleetingly shown 57 seconds into the video that Malente posted, you can draw out only the length needed to secure your guy. The still hanked excess can be stowed between the two lengths around your peg where it stays off the floor, not getting stepped on or muddy and serves as a visual indicator to stop folk tripping over your guylines.
    Much easier to show than describe.....

ATB

Ogri the trog

13. Asa Samuel

Asa Samuel Native

Thanks for that Joonsy, it's a lot easier to understand when you can see it :eek:

Silverclaws, that's a good suggestion thanks.

Ogri, that does make sense and sounds like a great idea, I've always just wrapping the excess cord around the line to keep it off the floor.

14. bearbait

bearbait Full Member

Mid-Wales, UK and British Columbia, Canada
    Hi there Asa Samuel,

I use the Midshipman's Hitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taut-line_hitch), see knot number #1855. The lead of the second turn "locks" the first turn. It's effectively a Rolling Hitch tied to its own standing part.

See "Ashley's Book of Knots" for an encyclopedic reference!

15. Joonsy

Joonsy Native

No, a waggoner's hitch is tied totally different, the knot illustated with photos is easily adjusted by sliding knot up or down length of string which cannot be done with the waggoner's hich which is tensioned by hauling on the free loose end, this link shows the waggoner's hitch, a completely different knot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trucker%27s_hitch and this link shows how to tie the waggoner's hitch which as you see it's totally different http://www.bullsbrookscouts.com/truckie****ch.html

16. Brokenman

17. treelore

treelore Nomad

what about the evik (spelling) really quick and easy to use..think i`ve seen it on you-tube

18. decorum

decorum Full Member

19. ged

ged Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Left BCUK until forum software gets fixed. See 'A
    I think you mean Evenk, or Siberian hitch. It's basically a figure of eight slipped at each end with a ring in one of the slip loops (which stops it slipping.

It doesn't do what's required here but it's used a lot in this kind of application (messing around with tarps and things:)).

20. the interceptor boy

the interceptor boy Full Member

watch the vid posted by swissgearlads on here,easy to do knots for your camp and the rest as above. cheers interceptor boy