Which first aid course?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I posted in another section that I'm doing the 3 Yorkshire peaks in June with a group of 15 blokes from my village. Non of us are first aid trained so I was thinking of doing a course myself. I figured that with such a large group the odds are one of us my have an accident, Murphy's law says it will be me who needs the first aid on the walk :p

So I'm looking for recommendation of which course to do and who with. Preferred location is Leeds/York area with the possibility of Hull or Preston. Do I do the general first aid course or the Outdoor ones I keep seeing? Cost is a bit of an issue as i'm funding it out my own pocket. I did try to get sent on the work first aid course but they already have 3 people trained on the floor I work on so no joy.

I'm also going to make up a kit list for everybody's personal first aid kit. Some of the information is coming from here and some from the many websites devoted to walking the 3 peaks.

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Friend of mine from the rescue team is a first aid instructor. He will tailor a course to suit the needs of the individual or group. I can put you in touch with him if you like. He is bristol based now but hails from your neck of the woods and will travel to run courses.
The standard first aid at work course covers all of the basics you would likely come across on the hill but your response would need to be adjusted to account for environmental conditions obviously :D

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
If you want to go high end the Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA) this an intensive course and covers stuff you probably wont see or need in the UK touch wood, but if you are going to work or travel overseas then this is the one. I did this course with Ex Med in Hereford. The instructors are ex and know that there is no boat house door in Hereford so have years of experience. I done this course whilst working in the Middle East and it was well worth the money and time

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Friend of mine from the rescue team is a first aid instructor. He will tailor a course to suit the needs of the individual or group. I can put you in touch with him if you like. He is bristol based now but hails from your neck of the woods and will travel to run courses.
The standard first aid at work course covers all of the basics you would likely come across on the hill but your response would need to be adjusted to account for environmental conditions obviously :D
Will have a look at the local trainers but if I get no where will take you up on the offer of details.

I would recommend these folk http://www.highpeakfirstaid.co.uk/ 1 1/2 hour drive from you but course specifically tailored to outdoors and good value. They train most of the YHA and other outdoor instructors in the Peak District.
Looks good that, plus some time in the Peak district :)

If you want to go high end the Medicine in Remote Areas (MIRA) this an intensive course and covers stuff you probably wont see or need in the UK touch wood, but if you are going to work or travel overseas then this is the one. I did this course with Ex Med in Hereford. The instructors are ex and know that there is no boat house door in Hereford so have years of experience. I done this course whilst working in the Middle East and it was well worth the money and time
Sounds good but think it might be a little more then I need.

DocDC

I originally set up the MIRA course when I co-founded ExMed and I have to say it is not appropriate for what you are doing unless you plan on carrying a ton of medical kit with you. Keep it simple and focus on courses that teach you the basics well and pay attention to improvisation and casualty management after being treated and while waiting for rescue or self rescuing.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I was the nominated first aider at work for a number of years. I started to take youth groups out for the weekend and had the opportunity to take a wilderness first aid course. Paid for and organized by the Local Authority. I found it to be a excellent edition to the First aid at work, as improvising and real situations like leaving a patient for maximum time to run from patient to nearest road, to raise help and running back to patient within the max time period (between breaths) etc very realistic. It also includes air ambulance recovery and methods for signalling helicopter etc. Hypothermia, anaphylactic, poisoning.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE