When was the last time you pampered yourself?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Personal hygiene & pampering.

Moving on from Bikers response to Sasquatch's posting of the shave link on the "one cup wash thread" here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106712&p=1302169#post1302169

It made me wonder as the men on here may think of themselves as ruffty ruffty woodsmen, doe's anyone ever spoil themselves with a bit of pampering? What? and how often?

Where I used to get my hair cut when younger the lasses always washed and give you a bit of a head massage before your cut, but that was 20 years ago.

I really enjoyed a good deep tissue/ sports massage from another friend who's a physiotherapist when I was suffering shoulder pain, but would never have booked her for pampering reasons only.

SWMBI thinks nothing of spending £40-50 on a trip to the hairdressers, having a trip to the chiropodist to have her nails cut, an occasional manicure etc but it would never cross my mind.

So how does a "bushcraft man" pamper himself and when was the last time you indulged? (overhauling your kit doesn't count!!)

Sauna, steam room, and Jacoozi for me in March when we went away for her birthday.

next?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Sauna, can't be beat..................one of those rare things which is a real indulgence and is really good for you at the same time................I live a long way away from anything like that so it's been a few years now, but writing this has given me an idea, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, - this forum costs a fortune to belong to with all the good ideas people have...........atb mac

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Once I get back from Tesco with the limes...

IMG_0001.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used to have a full body aromatherapy massage as part of my Xmas prezzies from the wife every year ... unfortunately my masseuse has retired so - no more :(

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Rev G (comment removed by mod.)

Once I get back from Tesco with the limes...

Again, not really, that's more spoiling yourself and buying something ie you have a physically property at the end of it, I'm talking just a service type thing which leaves you with nothing but a feeling (not a hangover either) nice selection of Gins by the way :)

Last edited:

Biker

About the most I've done was had a long lingering sauna, but I also had some spiritual healing on a regular weekly session back in 2003. Sort a Reiki like, no hands on touching but you could have poured me off the couch once the 30min session had finished I was so relaxed.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
About the most I've done was had a long lingering sauna, but I also had some spiritual healing on a regular weekly session back in 2003. Sort a Reiki like, no hands on touching but you could have poured me off the couch once the 30min session had finished I was so relaxed.

Spiritual healing is not pampering it is just therapy :)
I often have that - it keeps me going!
I also give Healing and am a certified and insured Tutor in Spiritual Healing... see you at the Moot eh?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I used to take a hot bath almost every week but we don't have one anymore.
And I hate showers. Especcially in winter. If my mum didn't make me take one every day I would limit myself to once a month or less:naughty:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Gotta admit a back massage is a winner. The lass I go to is pretty slight but I rekon she could bend steel with her bare hands.
Bow making and archery tends to leave one half of your back over developed so its nice to get a good nights sleep without pain killers, all the computer work just adds to the back bending.
That and we were never supposed to walk upright. :)

Biker

Spiritual healing is not pampering it is just therapy :)
I often have that - it keeps me going!
I also give Healing and am a certified and insured Tutor in Spiritual Healing... see you at the Moot eh?

At the time Alison, my partner, was having chemotherapy and afterwards radiotherapy for treatment of breast cancer. She'd got the address of this lady who lived 200 yards from our front door and figured it was worth a shot on top of all the other treatment she was going through. After all the spirit needs as much healing as well as the body. So every Thursday night I'd walk up there with her and she'd have her 30min session while I read a book downstairs. Then one evening Cynthia asked if I would like a session too. I explained I wasn't ill with anything (at least that I was aware of) but was willing to try it out. Pretty soon I looked forward to Thursday nights for this treatment and never once considered it anything other than pampering. I did come away from those sessions feeling lighter and less world weary.

I know you're a spiritual helaer John, I remember you did some work on Big Lebowski's knees. Yup, I'll see you at The Moot then

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I sometimes see a McTimoney chiropractor. The whole-body teatment is more like a massage than anything else, and really pleasant, and I feel great afterwards.

greensurfingbear

I do like a good sauna session me.

We built one when I worked in New Mexico. It was a hole in the ground with a old canvas over the top. It was deep enough so you could sit upright it after you crawled in. We'd fire up the rocks and then enjoy the feeling of steaming yourself clean. Always had to check it out first as a few occasions we had to move the rattle snakes out. kinda added to the fun I guess!

Best 'normal' sauna was in a youth hostel in Whistler in Canada you could come out the sauna out the back door and jump in a lake.

Mind you I quite enjoyed going to the old victorian style sauna in Newcastle in the city pool with a few mates and just hang out chatting with them.
Would totally get one as an indulgence if I had the money to spare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE