What have you failed at recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I do a bit of fire lighting with school groups and both adult/family groups.

A couple of weeks ago I failed completely with my friction fire bow drill demonstration. I have shown this method many times to many groups, and I have had the odd failure before but this time got me thinking.

It has been at least 8 months since I last used my set and I have probably lost both the muscle memory and familarity with the technique, as well as using both a new drill and hearth (the old set I knew well is now finished). I wasn't too stressed by failing in public because I never profess to be an expert, merely some bloke who dabbles with lighting fires for fun, and I used my failure to point out that sometimes in life things don't go your way.

Mind you, if that was my cold, hungry tribe wanting to cook their sabre tooth tiger then I might have got a club on my head for my trouble!

I shall use that experience and tell that story in my future sessions so failing isn't all bad, it depends on what you take from it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've failed at rabbit trapping. There are too that are eluding me. They are very wary and spook before I can get into shotgun range. Its a real problem as I don't want them breeding. I suspect rifle is the only solution but the land is not suitable.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I bought a chicken this week, specifically with the intention of pit roasting it. The weather has hardly been condusive, so I've resorted to boiling it on the hob (much to my dismay). She's actually bubbling away right now and I suspect its a failure because no matter what I add to it, the soupy juice just won't taste delicious.

I'm giving it another half an hour then living with the consequences.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
I bought a chicken this week, specifically with the intention of pit roasting it. The weather has hardly been condusive, so I've resorted to boiling it on the hob (much to my dismay). She's actually bubbling away right now and I suspect its a failure because no matter what I add to it, the soupy juice just won't taste delicious.

I'm giving it another half an hour then living with the consequences.

After the chicken is cooked reduce the liquid down by boiling fast. It will concentrate all that flavour.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
The alarm I set for the chook literally just went off, it smells great. I'll fish it out, if the liquid ain't up to scratch, I'll reduce it down as per your suggestion atlatlman. Cheers!

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
mmm where do i start ....Im a bit of a ted striker..... It all started on a cold dark tuesday morning on the 27th of august 68..............................and then i ended up in a small room with nothing other than a laptop and a internet connection to help me through the day .... i longed for the smell of fresh air and the wind in my hair running through the forrest so i looked this web forum up and dream of the day i can follow in your footsteps ......oh ans is getting out more

Last edited:

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
That bird has started to show its true colours. Initially intended to feed 2 mouths for 2 days, I think I can safely say she will be gone tonight with the help of parent inlaws.

So for the theme of the thread, I failed to roast it in the ground, but neverless a tasty meal has been produced from an adaptation to the adverse conditions.. and coincidentally the heavens are bursting with sunshine and all that is left of the storm is the beautiful aroma of wet earth and grass :)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Today.
I caught a big trout on a fly on a river, struggled to land it for five minutes, then just as it was about to enter the net, it flipped off the hook. There's a good chance it didnt make it, as it would have been exhausted.
Five minutes later, I caught another big trout, fought it for five minutes, landed it this time, then bopped it on the head, hit my thumb with the priest, trout jumped out of the net, dead, fell to the bottom of the river upside down, I tried to grab it, and it dissapeared.

I felt awful about killing them for no reason. I couldnt believe it.

I realised it was one of those days when nothings going my way, and the fishing gods are angry with me, or someones trying to tell me something, so I jacked it in and came home.
:(

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Today.
I caught a big trout on a fly on a river, struggled to land it for five minutes, then just as it was about to enter the net, it flipped off the hook. There's a good chance it didnt make it, as it would have been exhausted.
Five minutes later, I caught another big trout, fought it for five minutes, landed it this time, then bopped it on the head, hit my thumb with the priest, trout jumped out of the net, dead, fell to the bottom of the river upside down, I tried to grab it, and it dissapeared.

I felt awful about killing them for no reason. I couldnt believe it.

I realised it was one of those days when nothings going my way, and the fishing gods are angry with me, or someones trying to tell me something, so I jacked it in and came home.
:(
everyone has those days fishing, I love landing a good trout on the fly, but some of my best days on the water have been spent without a nibble. I fell in the lake once, snapped my braided loop and all sorts has happened, it's nice to have a good peaceful day- I do love fishing though, the buzz of landing a fish is still great every time- I should try and get on the water more often but life's hectic, it's always a treat to look forward too though! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE