What excites you about spring arriving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It looks like Spring has finally arrived, the snows are clearing for most of us and I for one am looking forward to seeing the plants, flowers and trees blooming with life again. I'll also be able to do some of the jobs around the house and get things tidied up.

How about you? Have you a homesteading project that's been waiting for the spring, or a veg patch that need some attention?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
While it's been a relief to watch the day length increase, we are a long way from "Spring" here.
Outdoor planting is usually the last week of May but that's not perfectly last-frost free.
The veg garden is a jungle of weeds, so are the flower beds around the house foundation.

I'm speaking theoretically. There's 2 ' of snow in there so use your imagination!

I'm taking on a partner to help with the grapes, pruning in late April and loading pots with soil
to start cuttings, etc. Just a few days that I might not be able to do.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
This sort of thing.

9572_B651-_FF15-4_EEE-91_CB-59300892_EFFA.jpg

B5351_C39-64_E9-4_CBA-907_A-_E85_FC941_D213.jpg

WOOHOO!!!

9_B6_A1686-_C516-4_B3_F-_B844-30_FADAAC4_D89.jpg

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Longer warmer days and nights means more time messing about the woods making things, learning things. This time of the year so much of the time is dedicated to just surviving and lugging warm kit.

We will soon be moaning about the bugs mind :vamp:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
We're a season closer to beachwear!

I'm not actually a big fan of spring, I turn into the grumpiest of old men...
"Lawn's going to need mowing soon..."
"Them chuffing foxes are at it again on the back garden..."
"Is that them kids/tourists/ramblers on my front lawn again..?"
"What sort of a stupid word is gambolling anyway...?"
"WHY IS EVERYTHING IN LOVE!!! IT'S SICKENING!!!"

But yeah, beachwear soon.....

Reactions: Chalkflint

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Being outside cutting fire wood instead of inside burning it.
Nesting songbirds.
3/4 grown rabbits for the pot.
Digging out the cargo shorts.
Hearing the first cuckoo.
Emptying out and re-packing the old bimble bag.

Just for starters.

Reactions: Macaroon

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cycling to and from work in daylight. Lights still on because motorists can't see you without burnt retinas from overly bright cycle lights in daylight.

Soon be time for camping with the family. Will we get out wildcamping with our young child for the first time this year? May would seem the best time of year for weather in the lakes for his first time.

Even more family cycling than we do in the rainy winter /autumn time.

Camping.

Did I say camping? Unfortunately we my camp when we think there won't be any overnight frosts. We often get caught out though! :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Bouncing around like Tigger, boing boing. Well actually the longer days, and the trees coming into leaf. Spring seems to be delayed this year, I already had some seedlings on the go in my greenhouse this time last year, but it has been way too cold with the snow and all that to even think about it.

Trotsky

When it finally arrives here some time next month I'll have the light after work and hopefully the weather for doing something in the garden, which I'm sure will cheer up my other half.
That said we've got another snow warning in place for tomorrow so it all seems quite far off.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Bouncing around like Tigger, boing boing. Well actually the longer days, and the trees coming into leaf. Spring seems to be delayed this year, I already had some seedlings on the go in my greenhouse this time last year, but it has been way too cold with the snow and all that to even think about it.

I've managed to dig my way into the greenhouse today but the snow managed to creep through the gaps in the glass and has piled up on top of some plants. It's been cold enough to freeze everything in there, even the bags of compost were solid. Luckily it's all hardy plants, I just use it to keep the ones that don't like getting too wet out of the rain over winter. Despite the cold though the plants are showing signs of being keen to get on with things now and there are lots of buds and early flowers showing. I need a good early spring weekend to get things potted up and cleared out of the way for seeds now.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Two things.
Firstly, laying bed (as I am doing now) listening to the morning bird song.

Secondly, anticipating and planning which fruit and veg to plant in the garden this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE