Waterproof Smartphone 2019 ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I want to buy a Waterproof Smartphone.

Which is the best and why?

What do you use?
Can you recommend it?

Which ones are bad and why?

I don't want a waterproof cover, dry bag or case.

I want a waterproof constructed Smartphone.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
I've got a Samsung S8+ that's built waterproof. I've taken it swimming in the river and recorded video with it underwater. I've even had video calls in the the shower with it. :joyful:

Its rated for 30 minutes at 1.5m. I've got a good case for it, more because I'm paranoid about breaking it but they really are tough phones.

Reactions: Erbswurst

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A low entry budget option.... [therefore not overly fancy]

I've got a Blackview phone. Kids had a blackview as a cheap 1st phone which lasted above expectations. Before xmas I saw they do a range of IP68 rated ones, so got myself the cheapest one [BV4000 pro - about 50 quid when I bought it, can't find it that cheap now - in my experience they seem cheaper a couple of months before xmas]

I assume your buying it sim free or are you after a contract?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have always used sony's, and been very happy. I was previously going to buy their latest flagship, then instead purchased new their flagship from several years ago - the Z5 - its fantastic, waterproof, and saved me £400 on their current flagship.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, I prefere to use prepaid sim cards.

I hate papers and bills and e-mails and that all.
It just costs my lifetime.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's worth pointing out that they all say their phones are not waterproof and that if you do damage your phone with water they'll not cover it unless you've got extended warranties etc. They're highly water resistant, sometimes the phones are called waterproof but the small print doesn't back it up. Some manufacturers have physical seals and others are coated to achieve their IP68 status, I think iPhones are coated rather than mechanical seals. I've had an iPhone 7+ in the rivers, sea etc taking pics and movies, had a fault that's nothing to do with water and then they argue they can't work on the phone because it's been breached. They have a little changing colour detector strip.

So, I'm now of the opinion that if you want a waterproof phone you stick it in a waterproof case and have that double layer of protection or if you're just wanting to avoid accidents, or use it in the rain you're all good.

Saying all that, my thoughts are a year old, so things might have moved on a bit since then as well with the standard phones and then you've got things like the Cat S61 rugged smartphone with IP69 protection...

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
For years my old phone was a Motorola Moto G3. Less than £200 and IP67 waterproof. I broke the charging port this year and it was time to replace it.

I was sorry to see Motorola have taken waterproofing off of all their new phones - apparently the required gaskets made the phones chunkier then they'd like.

I considered going over to a cheap Chinese rugged like the Blackview, but I've read things suggesting that they come with malware pre-installed. There's also suggestions of hardware back doors built-in. UK government employees are forbidden from using Chinese brand smartphones for security reasons, or so I'm told.

I'd have liked a Cat S61, but I'm not made of money. Eventually something occurred to me: zip-loc baggies are cheap and waterproof. After a quick bit of experimentation I found that you can indeed still operate the touchscreen through one.

So I just bought the very entry level Moto E5, and will place it in a baggy if I think there's a risk of it getting wet. It's faster than my old G3 so I'm happy.

One word of caution: I bought my wife one too and she quickly managed to drop it screen down onto concrete. She managed to open the flap on the wallet style case before doing this and accordingly smashed the screen, so they're maybe not the toughest in the world. To be fair a lot of high end phones break if you do that. The breakage pattern looks an awful lot like there was a small pebble on the concrete that acted as a centre punch.

She's had to go back to her old knackered phone till payday. I plan on buying her a Moto G6 Play this time, and putting it in an Otterbox style case with built in tempered glass screen protector. Let's see her break that ;)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I agree, that for fishing and boat and other heavy duty use an additional dry bag or sealed case should be the best Idea.

But inside should be a water resistant phone in my opinion.

Even condensation inside a waterproof bag could become a problem!

Most stuff is made extra weak, that we need to buy a new one from time to time.
That's for sure!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE