Water purification - quickest way?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi is anyone able to tell me the quickest way to purify a 1l capacity water bottle eg chlorine tablets, iodine drops etc cheers

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
From collection to consumption?

Filtration is going to be the fastest with a really good filter, like a Life Saver bottle.

Boiling next, assuming you have a stove or fire ready to go.

Chemical processes take time to work and manufacturers will have stated times, but Katadyn Micropurs take 30 mins or longer if giardia is present.

There is also UV sterilisation (Steripen) but haven't used that technique so know next to nothing about it.

Also the difference methods have different "success" rates, most methods reduce the biological contaminants (bacteria etc) but don't guarantee their complete removal. Whereas boiling is 100% effective.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Hi is anyone able to tell me the quickest way to purify a 1l capacity water bottle eg chlorine tablets, iodine drops etc cheers

boiling won't remove toxins such as blue green algae, or insecticides/sheep dip. Easiest way is the nasa filters, maybe two linked together will give you a failsafe.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
The LifeSaver filters (bottle and jerrycan respectively) filter down to 1nm, and will remove all the nasties from the water. The only water source you absolutely cannot use is salt water (such as the sea or salt water estuaries)
I picked mine up on eBay for £40 each (I have 5 of them, don't ask)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Actually nothing removes all contaminants - not even distillation. Lifesavers will remove some chemicals - but by no means all.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Actually nothing removes all contaminants - not even distillation. Lifesavers will remove some chemicals - but by no means all.

Sure, if you're filling it up from a vat of toxic waste... but that's what your nose is for. If you can't stomach the smell, chances are it's too full of s**t to even think about filtering.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
osmosis is meant to remove it all, but I've never heard of anyone use them. The flocculants of proctor+gamble fame are also meant to be very very good but are complicated.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
osmosis is meant to remove it all, but I've never heard of anyone use them. The flocculants of proctor+gamble fame are also meant to be very very good but are complicated.

There is a system made in the USA that uses a syrup solution.. through a membrain, and that is meant to work.. but it does leave yuo with sweet water.. :)

I cant remember the name tho.. it was just like a water blader type system

Last edited:

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
  1. Lifesaver Bottle or Jerrycan is Number 1 of my kit.
  2. Next is my Katadyn Pocket filter used in conjunctgion with Micropure MF1000
If needing to go super lightweight then it's a very fine cotton bag + Steripen Freedom (can be recharged with PowerTraveller via micro usb) and Micropure MF1000 again
AFAIAC, clean water is a 'must have'. Falling sick with all sorts of bugs and nasties when you are a looooooooong way from home wrecks all your plans -
Trust me, liquid explosive bowels when sitting on a Thumper or when in your sleeping bag with a stuck zipper is NO laughing matter !:eek:
Stay safe out there

Last edited:

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Potassium permanganate crystals. drop a few in to turn the water a light pink colour and leave it for a minute or two. Then it's safe enough to consume.

Another advantage is that if you carry potassium permanganate and glycerine on you, you can also start fire with them and also use them for medicinal purposes.

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Just to add, what are the life straw's like? Any good?

I have an ex girlfriend I know would be very good at using one... but personally, too much effort for me!

If you enjoy sucking (and there's no way to say that without it sounding dirty) then you might just like the Life Straw.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Cheers guys, has anyone had any experience e with the put hydration water bottles, I'm assuming their similar to the lifesaver bottles that have been mentioned ?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
There was a leaflet with the latest Bushcraft Magazine on these filter bottles, which look like they should fit the bill (there's an Xmas 20% discount too, if you're quick - no connection etc, and I haven't tried them myself - yet!)

The water 2 go bottles are really good. I've drunk some filthy water through them and it comes out looking, smelling and tasting great.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Wow, never even heard of the Lifesaver bottles! I thought filtration alone was not sufficient for removing the nasties but it seems things move on?

It seems like an almost perfect solution to safe water needs? Can these be filled with heavily sedimented water and still work?

I would like to see a pump version of these akin to the Katadyn filters so an accumulation of pure water could be had without using a chemical post treatment to get almost 100% safe water.

Steve

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I would like to see a pump version of these akin to the Katadyn filters so an accumulation of pure water could be had without using a chemical post treatment to get almost 100% safe water.
Steve
Yes, these will filter heavily sedimented water (and there's a sponge inside you can use to even reduce the sediment substantially). Obviously, the more sediment you introduce to the filter, the quicker it'll reach the end of its operational lifespan (which is either 4000 litres or 6000 litres dependent on which version of the bottle you have, to 10,000 litres or 20,000 litres dependent on the version of the Jerrycan you have)

The LifeSaver Bottles are a pump system. In fact, here's a video showing how they work and how to maintain them:
[video=youtube;HPlnQrapSas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPlnQrapSas[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE