Water buttercup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

relfy

Nomad
I'm having trouble IDing this and wondered if anyone can help?

I'm afraid I accidentally hoiked it out of the canal wall by my boat (was mortified, and replanted it, but not before taking some pics).

My bet is ranunculus, and possibly crowfoot, but it has yellow petals. I have a strong feeling it was very bad of me to uproot it, like its probably on some red list or something :(

It doesn't have the narrow, fingery submerged leaves of a crowfoot, but then it was growing only a few centimetres below the prevailing water-level, from a crack in the old (disused) lock gate, so probably wouldn't need them even if it was capable of growing them.

5 shiny petals, 5 yellow-green sepals, many yellow stamens and a big bulbous green receptacle.
Here are some piccies...

4676035064_9f109c5d5a.jpg

4676094834_9cc8c6cc92.jpg

4676035074_cee1e78769_b.jpg

relfy

Nomad
Thanks Locum76, I looked at celery-leaved on another site and discounted it, but on your site the flowers look good, but the leaves less so - but with crowfoot, they change their minds all the time how they want to grow, so you could be right!

I guess I could positively ID it by testing some sap on my skin for a few minutes..... lol. How much do I want to know?

relfy

Nomad
On further investigation, I am in full agreement, thanks Locum :) ... the sepals don't curve down as in the description, but a lot of the pictures and diagrams in google images don't really show this either. Its a best-fit and does for me! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE