VW Campervan holiday

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Beauty van. Has it inspired you to aquire your own? Lovely collies to boot....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
In reply I enjoy camping in a tent too much although maybe in a few years when time takes its toll on my old bones.
They are good dogs but the pic with them in the inflatable took my wife some setting up as they enjoyed the game and kept jumping out.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Looks like a wonderful trip and baby blue is a great colour for and old VW. I really miss my old Kombi and get a twinge of jealousy every time I pass one on the road and have to stop myself waving or flashing headlights. I don’t miss long motorway drives being buffeted by a head or sidewind but mostly great memories! :)

West Coast of Ireland

D8524DB0-308A-4B37-83C3-7DF6446DFBF7.jpeg D7E6568A-BD4E-42ED-AD0D-A0CB6F375277.jpeg

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I love my van. Wouldn't change it for anything. Well.... maybe for a bigger van!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The v dub is a great lifestyle choice. I spent a couple of months in one with my lassie dog and then boyfriend in the early 80s. It was great fun and gave us many hours of fun crawling underneath trying to gun gum the exhaust!
It was noisy and slow, drank petrol for a pass time, was lefthand drive and the interior had nothing but the back seat left in it......... oh the memories!

Reactions: Van-Wild

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
And don't forget the long cue of cars in the rear view mirror

I did once have the entire Renault Alpine owners club membership lined up behind me trying to overtake on a beautiful road over the Applecross peninsula on the Scottish west coast! ;)

Reactions: SaraR

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I love the old split screen buses and seriously thought about buying one but went for a modern T5 Kombi instead.
Whilst it does not have the iconic status, for me it was the better family vehicle.
It is used everyday as a 5 seater car, as a van at weekends (just filled the van with fire wood for scout camp this weekend) and then holidays its a proper camper van with bed seats and pop up roof. Its got a 2.4 Turbo engine so even fully loaded you dont notice it and can always keep up with the other traffic.
It also amazes me how much interest my modern van gets and I am for ever been asked for advice about buying one (twice this week).
It seems there are a lot of people that want to be part of the VW camper scene but also want more practicality.
If I could justify it I would have a classic VW bus. But if it meant getting rid of my modern van I dont think I would. (I love it too much)
Chalkflint
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177499106/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177581132/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177511051/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I love the old split screen buses and seriously thought about buying one but went for a modern T5 Kombi instead.
Whilst it does not have the iconic status, for me it was the better family vehicle.
It is used everyday as a 5 seater car, as a van at weekends (just filled the van with fire wood for scout camp this weekend) and then holidays its a proper camper van with bed seats and pop up roof. Its got a 2.4 Turbo engine so even fully loaded you dont notice it and can always keep up with the other traffic.
It also amazes me how much interest my modern van gets and I am for ever been asked for advice about buying one (twice this week).
It seems there are a lot of people that want to be part of the VW camper scene but also want more practicality.
If I could justify it I would have a classic VW bus. But if it meant getting rid of my modern van I dont think I would. (I love it too much)
Chalkflint
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177499106/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177581132/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/163752892@N05/48177511051/in/dateposted-public/
My van also started life as a stock kombi. We had it a whole two weeks before we brought a meccano type kombi bed for the back and two huge black plastic storage boxes which we filled with all the gubbins for a camping trip. Then it was off around Europe for a month. No messing! It was a trial by fire for the vanlife. The first four days were like hell on earth. Constant heavy rain. Everything felt damp. Dog had the shits..... but then, just as we very almost packed it all in, the sun made a visit, we dried everything out. All was right with the world and we haven't looked back since! Took two years nearly to fully convert to a 4 berth off grid camper, but we love it.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
As much as I love the outdoors and camping in a tent.(Doing it this weekend with the scouts). A camper van is a whole different level of comfort and practicality. We can use ours all year around as its fully insulated with a diesel heater. We have a solar panel on the roof charging the leisure battery so we are self sufficient. That saves a lot of money on pitch fees just having a grass only pitch, rather than wanting an electrical point to plug into. The seat beds are incredibly comfortable and apart from having to close the pop up roof once in gale force winds the weather has not really bothered us.
During the winter though we now try to get a pitch that has hard standing as once or twice we really churned up the grass pitches getting on and off when it was particularly wet.
If we go away for a short weekend we just use the sun shade connected to the van. (I had it specially made so I can put it up in different configurations).
For longer holidays we take the large drive away awning as that gives us some where to store kit whilst we are out in the van and cook in if the weather is really bad. The van does not have any cooking facilities inside as we prefer to cook outside.
Chalkflint

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I hear ya chalkflint. Our van is fully off grid. The eberspacher night heater is a god send in the winter months. We always wild camp in the UK and have never used sites. It's just too expensive for us to justify. We have everything on board to live very comfortably for more than a week before we need resupply. Then we will just pop to the nearest lidl or aldi, get what we need, refill the fuel tank and off we go again.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We're getting a van as soon as we find one. Not being a sucker for a badge, finding a vw is too small across the cab for me and our budget would limit us to a pi$$ poor old banger of a vw we're getting a vivaro/trafic/transit custom.

In our view their boxy shape means more space and lower premium cost will allow us to partially convert it too. Other issue is until converted it's our only vehicle so we need the three seats in the front. On the vw I cannot fit in it without having to lean inwards. I'm 6'5" tall and since we share driving I'll. Have to fit in the outer passenger seat. Can't do that with vw vans.

However with more converters making vans up out of non-vw base vans it's easier to get a good quality conversion. So a 2016 vivaro, side/rear windows, pop top lid, lined and insulated for £15k is a possibility. Possibly even a crash tested tub m1 double seat / bed too. The rest isn't important right away.

It's an exciting time starting this journey to van life. Just still worried if it's a good idea sinking so much into a van and driving it as our only vehicle too. Car will go to pay for more conversion costs after initial work.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
We're getting a van as soon as we find one. Not being a sucker for a badge, finding a vw is too small across the cab for me and our budget would limit us to a pi$$ poor old banger of a vw we're getting a vivaro/trafic/transit custom.

In our view their boxy shape means more space and lower premium cost will allow us to partially convert it too. Other issue is until converted it's our only vehicle so we need the three seats in the front. On the vw I cannot fit in it without having to lean inwards. I'm 6'5" tall and since we share driving I'll. Have to fit in the outer passenger seat. Can't do that with vw vans.

However with more converters making vans up out of non-vw base vans it's easier to get a good quality conversion. So a 2016 vivaro, side/rear windows, pop top lid, lined and insulated for £15k is a possibility. Possibly even a crash tested tub m1 double seat / bed too. The rest isn't important right away.

It's an exciting time starting this journey to van life. Just still worried if it's a good idea sinking so much into a van and driving it as our only vehicle too. Car will go to pay for more conversion costs after initial work.
My van is my daily driver as well. Still good on fuel. We have had a few issues with sensors but all have been dwelt with by VW under warranty.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
When people ask me how much a camper van would cost. I always point out that a lot of the cost is the van itself. The conversion cost is the same it just depends on how much you spend to get the van.
Getting a van insulated and boarded out with some electrics fitted is probably a couple of thousand. Hob and fridge plus units to fit them in probably same again. Its the crash tested bed seats and high end pop up roofs that really boost the price.
My van is used as an everyday vehicle. It has 5 seats in total. 2 singles in the front. 1 single behind them and then a double behind that. It also has a large shelf behind the rear seats that forms part of the bed when it folds down. As well as a large storage compartment along the side where most people fit their kitchen cupboards.
When we go camping all we need to do is clip out the single seat (2 mins) and thats the van ready. We throw in some sleeping bags etc and a couple of gas bottles and we are ready to go. Four people travel in comfort (or 5 if you have somewhere to store the single seat when you get there, such as in the drive away awning).
This weekend I will be carrying equipment for the scout troop camp. I will unclip the single seat and and rear shelf (5 mins max) . Slide the twin seat all the way forward as its on rails and have 1/2 a vans worth of cargo space and still carry four people in comfort.
Several of my Cub and Scout parents have been talking to me about getting one as they see how I use it and realise they are incredibly versatile vehicles.
I honestly think they are one of the best family vehicles on the market
Chalkflint

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Cost of my conversion was (IIRC)....

Sound deadening, insulation and boarding: £250

M1 tested bed and front seat reupholstered: £1750

Units: £800

Fridge: £350

Night heater, lights and electrics: £1700

Pop top: £2450

Gas cooker: £60

Awning: £300

So a grand total of: £7660.

So quite a fair bit of cash...... but I did it bit by bit, as I could afford it. So I saved and then spent. It's all paid for. No HP or loans. Every time I added something I just made it all better, or that's my thoughts anyway.

A base van is the biggest cost though. I agree. I reckon you could get a decent VW T5 for £8000 to £10000 that'll see you through for years and years. Costs could be kept down if you did all the install yourself (electrics, gas, heater etc) but that depends on how good you are at DIY. At least I know everything on my van is safety compliant and insurable should I have an accident. Biggest thing for me though is the adventures we go on and the memories. That can't have a price put on it....

Reactions: Nomad64

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Don't know where your find the vw vans for £8-10k unless that's without vat occluded or it's old / high mileage.

We've been looking and vw vans seem at 9k + vat for a 15 plate, 100 or so BHP and 100k mileage or hit go up to 13k +vat for a lower mileage van same age and lower mileage.

Looking at vauxhall vivaro you can get say a 50k mileage, 15 to 16 plate with high spec sportive, even biturbo for about 8k + vat. That's a new shape too. IIRC vw t6 came in avout 15/16 plate and you'll not get one of them for 8k!

IMHO it's a no brainer for us, even ignoring the fact I don't fit in the passenger seat. The vw t5s are a better drive though if you get the 140bhp version. Handles better across the power range just nicer 140bhp.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Don't know where your find the vw vans for £8-10k unless that's without vat occluded or it's old / high mileage.

We've been looking and vw vans seem at 9k + vat for a 15 plate, 100 or so BHP and 100k mileage or hit go up to 13k +vat for a lower mileage van same age and lower mileage.

Looking at vauxhall vivaro you can get say a 50k mileage, 15 to 16 plate with high spec sportive, even biturbo for about 8k + vat. That's a new shape too. IIRC vw t6 came in avout 15/16 plate and you'll not get one of them for 8k!

IMHO it's a no brainer for us, even ignoring the fact I don't fit in the passenger seat. The vw t5s are a better drive though if you get the 140bhp version. Handles better across the power range just nicer 140bhp.
https://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/...l-vehicles/vans/all/uk/vw+t5+van+sales+no+vat

There you go. VW T5.1. £7690. mileage is 97k. It's plus VAT though. That mileage is nothing for a van. A lot of people relate mileage in vans to cars with old technology. But van engines are designed to go long distances with a lot of weight. They're stronger. So long as it's maintained well. In under two years my T6 has done over 40k from new. But it's serviced every 10k. I look after it. I've seen 4yr old HGVs with 200k +on the clock. It's all relative. So looking at milage alone isn't really a good indicator of condition.

But if you're not looking for a VW, cool. All vans are worth a look. I say go for it. I'm not a badge fad either. It just happened that I got a VW and it fits my needs perfectly. I'm sure a Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat or Citroen will all make good campers.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
Having lots of power in my van makes it much more enjoyable to drive. If it only had 100hp on a van weighing nearly 2 Tonne I dont think I would have kept it. Mine has 174 bhp .Fully loaded it still performs well and gives remarkably good fuel economy.
Once you go away from VW's which retain their value you do get more for your money. I was talking to a fellow T5 owner who drives a Transit for his job and reckons the Ford is the better van.
Chalkflint

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE