Uses for hook on a SAK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
This video popped up in my "you might like" box today, it is quite interesting with some neat thinking behind them.
All about uses for possibly the least used attachment on any Swiss army knife. The parcel hook or tent peg puller.

[video=youtube_share;cN231NO5ij0]https://youtu.be/cN231NO5ij0[/video]

Just thought it worth sharing.

Rob.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Had a look at some of this guys other vids regarding Sak's, after getting on with some cad work I needed to do, and they are quite interesting too.
I am a long time user of both Victorinox and Wenger brand Sak's (the oldest was purchased some 32 years ago .....boy do I feel old now).
Rob.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
How many of us have had a need for a hook like this? I guess nit many of us, or we would be able to buy these hooks in various suzes made by different manufacturers.
Hence my comment of useless.

To design a tool people have to invent a use for is a bit stupid.
I rather have a phillips bit there. Or a better toothpick, as I always lose the loose one within a week.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
All comments on all internet forums are just that!

With 1,167 posts/comments on here you must be either really bored or just trolling for the heck of it.
Either way I could care less, if you have nothing positive or useful to say maybe you should unplug your keyboard.

with respect, Rob.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
After watching that vid I find my suspicions confirmed.... the hook has no real function that could not be done better with another tool!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
With 1,167 posts/comments on here you must be either really bored or just trolling for the heck of it.
Either way I could care less, if you have nothing positive or useful to say maybe you should unplug your keyboard.

with respect, Rob.

Not much respect from you, so do not write it.
I did say something useful, the hook is for me a total waste of space that could be utilised for something else.
Positive?
Negative criticism is usually far mire productive that a positive.

Yeah, I do have too much time on my hands.....agree to that.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
After watching that vid I find my suspicions confirmed.... the hook has no real function that could not be done better with another tool!

I recall reading somewhere that a blunt hook could be used to clean out birds. I do not know how that works, as I always used my fingers.
Maybe someone here knows?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm of an age where my dexterity is not what it once was, compounded by a couple of bouts of surgery a couple of years back; I find a use for the hook on mine almost daily, I like to mess around with roots and cordage when I'm sat having a break in the woods and the hook is a very useful thing to have with me. When my hands have been very cold I've used it to loosen/adjust boot lacing and all sorts of tasks with small diameter dyneema and the like.

The big one, though, is a couple of times when I've needed to mess with wiring behind the dash of the van; impossible to get my fingers into the small and sharp spaces to grab a wire? reach for the hook!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I like the hook, I used it as part of my pirate costume for Halloween...

seriously though I have used it before because my fat fingers arent always able to do what I want.

ED-E

May 22, 2012
Germany
It's useless until you find some use for it.. I used it multiple times.

Some years ago I used the hook (after sterilizing the knife) to drain a small but still painful infected sebaceous cyst at the ear canal of my travel companion (so it was difficult to reach). Then I flushed out the ear, used an antiseptic.. it healed up nicely.. more importantly the pain was gone almost immediately and we could continue together. Was kind of helpful with no hospital around and no specialized tool in our first aid kit.

You mean like every other tool as well? I mean seriously.. There are better tools for every single function a SAK offers. From blade to can opener but that's the beauty of it, isn't it? Being able to carry a multifunctional knife (multi-tool if you will) in your pocket.

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Iv used the hook for untying knots and getting stuff my fingers won't reach!
Once saw an old SAK ad where the bloke dropped his glasses down the toilet, and used the hook to get them out!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE