Uses for grey willow rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have a row of grey willow that produce masses of shoots every year. I'm trying to encourage a pollard but they still sprout from all over. Trimming these excess shoots off leaves me with huge quantities of sticks which are mostly quite straight but not flexible enough for weaving.

Short of just burning them, I'm wondering what else they could be used for? Artist's charcoal? Habitat/brash pile?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Offer them to a local Forest School Spandit, im sure they would be appreciative

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
My wife is starting a forest school at our daughter's school next week - I'll see if she wants it but there's a lot!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I know a chap just outside of Eastbourne who runs a commercial forest school, he might take it, doesn't hurt to ask him, will let you know, where about's are you roughly?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Have you tried to make artist's charcoal sticks?
Some of the nicest drawing material that I've ever used.

Since we have lots of snow in winter, habitat brush piles for small mammals do get used.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Christmas is a coming, and those tension trays that I made a while back mostly just need straight bits. Only the original hoop needs to bend.
Easy to make, look great full of Christmassy fruits, etc., and make a good base for clingfilm wrapped oasis for flower arranging. Can be decorated up as seasonal wreath things too.

I can find a link to the original post if you like, and since I didn't use photobucket it ought still have it's images.

Charcoal drawing sticks are pretty easy to make too. You can just wrap up a bundle of short lengths in tinfoil (layer it up) and put it on the hot coals of the fire. Leave it in peace for a good while, and when it's cool, it's good stuff :)

Even though it's not weaving quality, it would probably make short hurdles too, just pushed down into the 'sails'.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE