Up and over garage door adjustment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I know it's not remotely bushy but my garage door has dropped...
Well to be honest it's never fit really well since we moved into the house and I've just used the garage for wood really. But now I want to make it secure and more of a work shop.
It's the type with the two springs either side. It's actually a bit skew as well ie it's catching bottom lhs.
I've googled it but can't seem to find how to adjust it, in fact to my eye it looks like the only adjustment may be at the springs???
Any suggestions most welcome.
Ta dave

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
swap for double doors........? best advice i got since one of them things fell on my motorcycle and trashed the tank n clocks...was not a happy chappy.....

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Ajusting the springs does work, they go weak, one snapped last year.

To make more secure, just drill some holes into the floor, through the door edge and drop some bolts in if you have another door to open it from the inside.

Pterodaktyl

Jun 17, 2013
Devon
AFAIK the springs are simply there to counterbalance the weight of the door as you raise and lower it, even if they have gone slack it would only make the door harder to operate and wouldn't affect how it sits when closed. The mechanism does sound very similar to ours, next time I'm out there I'll take a look and see if I can spot any height adjustment, but as you say all I've ever noticed is tension adjustment for the springs.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Rental property and I'm not in the habit of spending money on it!!! I think I'll try to prop the door up in the correct position and see if I can nip the bolts up??

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I have an up and over on mine and it was the nylon wheel that had fallen apart that made mine drop to one side.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE