1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are UPGRADING THE FORUMS in the next couple of weeks so there might be some downtime, and also there will be some changes to the forum, how it looks (we intend on getting it as close to this version as possible) and some of the functionality will change, hopefully for the better!

This is an essential upgrade so there's no choice but to do it so that we stay secure and the site stays up and running with minimal compatibility issues etc.

Thank you for your patience over the next few week and your patience as everyone gets used to a few things that will change. Any questions ask away in the appropriate forum.

Thanks, Tony
    Dismiss Notice

Up and over garage door adjustment

Discussion in 'Other Chatter' started by tommy the cat, Mar 25, 2015.

1. tommy the cat

tommy the cat Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I know it's not remotely bushy but my garage door has dropped...
    Well to be honest it's never fit really well since we moved into the house and I've just used the garage for wood really. But now I want to make it secure and more of a work shop.
    It's the type with the two springs either side. It's actually a bit skew as well ie it's catching bottom lhs.
    I've googled it but can't seem to find how to adjust it, in fact to my eye it looks like the only adjustment may be at the springs???
    Any suggestions most welcome.
    Ta dave

2. vestlenning

vestlenning Settler

Are there any loose parts which should be tight? If not, maybe the springs have gotten tired?

3. tommy the cat

Not that I could see loose nuts??

4. DurhamBushcrafter

swap for double doors........? best advice i got since one of them things fell on my motorcycle and trashed the tank n clocks...was not a happy chappy.....

5. Teepee

Teepee Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Ajusting the springs does work, they go weak, one snapped last year.

To make more secure, just drill some holes into the floor, through the door edge and drop some bolts in if you have another door to open it from the inside.

6. Pterodaktyl

Pterodaktyl Full Member

AFAIK the springs are simply there to counterbalance the weight of the door as you raise and lower it, even if they have gone slack it would only make the door harder to operate and wouldn't affect how it sits when closed. The mechanism does sound very similar to ours, next time I'm out there I'll take a look and see if I can spot any height adjustment, but as you say all I've ever noticed is tension adjustment for the springs.

7. vestlenning

vestlenning Settler

Yes, double doors are a lot cooler imo.

8. tommy the cat

Rental property and I'm not in the habit of spending money on it!!! I think I'll try to prop the door up in the correct position and see if I can nip the bolts up??

9. Johnnyboy1971

Johnnyboy1971 Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I have an up and over on mine and it was the nylon wheel that had fallen apart that made mine drop to one side.

10. tommy the cat

Ok..... got to say there is three garages next to each other and all look pretty poor.