Uk legal EDC what you carrying

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I am not restricted by UK law any more and the funny thing is I am not so bothered about what knife I carry as I was when I was living back in the UK . If that makes sense .
But at the moment I have a small slipjoint folder in my pocket

Last edited:

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
Leatherman charge tti

It's not a knife, it's a multitool. As i am male, it's my god defined duty to fix things.

That is my reason officer :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Penknife, less than 3 inch folding blade, perfectly legal. Maybe legislation makes taking it into schools and other places an offence but in general legal. Even for under 18s.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Penknife, less than 3 inch folding blade, perfectly legal. Maybe legislation makes taking it into schools and other places an offence but in general legal. Even for under 18s.
Hmmm,,, A very debatable point that.
I seem to remember a thread on BB where a guy was arrested carrying his Spyderco UKPK and the police were adamant that they would nick him for it and also that in their eyes it was pretty much a lock knife...
Any ways I think its all about circumstance and intent. Personally I wouldn't carry anything beyond a an SAK or a very small folder as an edc even then its dubious, but im willing to take the risk. When out in the woods its a differant story,
Anyway here my latest;
DSCF0851.jpg

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
...I'm EDCing one of these:

IMAG1223sm.jpgIMAG1224sm.jpgIMAG1225sm.jpg

Wine glass stem for... ahem... scale, honest!

It's a CRKT Slip KISS II - bought from Heinnies for a very reasonable £13.95 delivered, arrived next working day in fact.

Yes... I have already cut myself with it, so it really does belong to me now :D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I seem to remember a thread on BB where a guy was arrested carrying his Spyderco UKPK and the police were adamant that they would nick him for it and also that in their eyes it was pretty much a lock knife...

I too remember that thread - IIRC correctly, the gent in question was carrying two knives, both UK legal and decided not to argue the toss with the police on the UKPK as it might have ended up costing him his job as a doorman.

The police can be as adamant as they like regarding what they'll tell you. You are required by law to tell the truth to a police officer who has correctly identified himself to you or is in uniform. On the other hand, the police are NOT required by law to tell you the truth - it's a frequent misconception.

You are not required by law to convince a police officer of your reason for carrying any bladed or pointed article, but a magistrate. It's the job of the police officer to report you to said magistrate should he feel/believe an offence has been committed.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I don't carry a knife day to day. I don't need to and nor do most people. Even when out in a forest I would rather have a knife in my pack than on my belt. I can always get it out of the pack when I need it.

Canoeing is a different story and you need a fast-accessible safety knife.

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
I disagree to an extent, my edcarrying of my leatherman has saved the taxpayers thousands in saved pounds... When I see a problem at work, I fix it if I can rather than call out a chippy/plumber/locksmith/etc

And our laws and on occasion our police are a joke. My multitool is just that, it is not a weapon.

If I wanted to stab someone, I'd get a. Pack of 6 knives from Poundland and then ditch it in the river.... Not use a £100 multitool that's carried in a £20 aftermarket leather belt sheath.

I have a professional requirement to know my job inside out.... The police should know PACE and every other aspect of criminal and civil law they are there to uphold.

The police are not there to interpret laws and apply them according to individual moral belief or the whim of the day........

That's what we pay senile 75yo judges to do.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE