1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trueways survival school - any good? Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bushcraft and survival skills' started by samharris, May 17, 2015.

1. samharris

I want to do a survival course and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations about who was good and who to avoid? I want to do it in the UK but would consider abroad.

I’d really like to know if anyone has any experience of Trueways Survival school? Their course looks perfect but I can’t find many reviews.

I’m based in Yorkshire and have no survival experience, though I do go hiking.

Thanks in advance

2. gonzo_the_great

gonzo_the_great Forager

Hi,

I did one of their 5 day basic to advanced coursed, in March this year.

It was well structured and informative, with practical sessions every step of the way.
    They started by teaching the basics (as the course title suggests!) which we did as a group and finishes with an assessment session, on your own in the woods, where you put what you have learned into practice. The whole week was set around an example survival scenario, so you could try and get into the appropriate mind set. And along the way, dropping in the odd unexpected thing, to keep you on your toes.
    You cook all your food (provided by the school) on the camp fires. And you will be making a lot of fires!

My course was in Hampshire and the instructor was Conrad Allen, a very experienced guy, who made the whole week very enjoyable.
    I think we had 12 on the course. From an assortment of backgrounds, and I don't think anyone had any real difficulties keeping up during the training days.
    They run courses all around the UK, throughout the year.

By the end of the 5 days I was pretty worn out, but on top of the world.
    Admittedly this is the only course of this type I've done, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll gladly recommend the school.

A few weeks after the course you get your certificate and an individual written assessment of your performance.

If anyone books one of these courses, my tips are:
    Choose a knife which you can baton with. And a sharpening stone. (Some people had folding knives, which limited them in some tasks.)
    If you have one, pack your folding saw.
    Decent waterproof boots.
    Get some good quality wool based thermals/base layer.
    Work gloves.
    Good waterproofs.
    Take a half decent sized mess tin/billy can to cook with and a personal one to eat from. They don't specify the size on the kit list, but cooking as a group is easier if you can a couple of larget pots between you.
    Good firesteel (the 4mm rat pack ones will only last you a day).

The rest of the kit list, they email to you when you book. But speaking as a novice, I'd put the emphasis on the above items.

Jules

3. backpacker

backpacker Forager

Hi Jules,

I went on a Trueways Survival Course 5 day Basic to Advanced with my Son in May two years ago in Worcestershire our Instructor was Paul 'Chalky' White a brilliant instructor, most of the instructors have a military background which is good, we were busy all the time and didn't get much time standing around which is a good thing we were learning all the time and being assessed though out the week, there's not much more that I can say that you have already said already, I would definitely recommend anyone who is interested in Survival to go on one of there courses.

We have just booked a 7 Day Advanced Course in Nateby in Cumbria in September this year, apparently you are left to your own devises even though you are being monitored by an instructor through out the week, we are both really looking forward to the challenge!

Dave

4. Lazy Days

Hi Dave

Did you ever do the 7 day advanced course. I am very interested in your views.

Thanks

5. backpacker

backpacker Forager

Hi Jules,

No we didn't go on the Advanced Course in September after all, due to some family issues so we cancelled and will be booking a 7 Day Advanced Course for later on this year, we was gutted as we both had been looking forward to the experience, we were fortunate that Trueways are letting us re-book as we didn't give them a lot of notice, but when we explained our reasons they were ok, when we have been on the course I will get back to you.

All the best

Dave

6. hog

hog Native

Robbing tombs in the deep south of Manannins Isle.
    Did anyone meet Lofty ?

7. backpacker

backpacker Forager

Hi Hog,

Lofty doesn't seem to do the courses himself as far as I know, but he has very good staff that have probably been trained by Lofty over the years!

Dave

8. Jedadiah

Jedadiah Native

I worked with Chalky on the SERE school (The 'R' rather than the 'S') and you are right, he's a top fella, real nice and switched on. I didn't realise he had pursued this after he left the Military until i saw him doing a demo on some kids TV programme last year! Nearly spat me coffee out! I think he has done some YouTube vids as well.

9. Nigel H

Nigel H New Member

Hello

I strongly recommend Trueways Survival.
    Have been on several Trueways courses and would I recommend all of them:
    2 day basic Survival / 5 day basic to advanced Survival / 3 day coastal / 3 day Advanced survival / 7 day Instructors development course.

The instructors are brilliant and there are courses to suit everybody.

10. Doodler

I had a very mixed experience with a Trueways course, see my review in full on the course I did, on BushcraftUK by doing a search "Trueways anti-poaching and survival"