Tree species

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
Hi everyone just wondering if you all can help identify this tree.
f49502fd1cb88eeeee35272cc60f6bfb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
It's not easy to identify a tree by it's bark , so not surprised nobody had a crack at this yet.

My guess, and it is just a guess ...is that this is a Salice of some sort .(Salix alba or Salix Fragilis maybe?).

Not sure without seeing the leaves but the bark is quite distinct.

It could also be an old sweet chestnut (Castanea Sativa) or even an old Oak
(Quercus robur) .

At the bottom of the page of the following link there's a small species index with a few pointers how to I.D. trees.

The second link has a very good and concise guide and also an app to help with tree identification.
Hope it helps

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/willow-s-salix-species/

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vi...wildlife/british-trees/how-to-identify-trees/

Last edited:

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
It's not easy to identify a tree by it's bark , so not surprised nobody had a crack at this yet.

My guess, and it is just a guess ...is that this is a Salice of some sort .(Salix alba or Salix Fragilis maybe?).

Not sure without seeing the leaves but the bark is quite distinct.

It could also be an old sweet chestnut (Castanea Sativa) or even an old Oak
(Quercus robur) .

At the bottom of the page of the following link there's a small species index with a few pointers how to I.D. trees.
Hope it helps

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/willow-s-salix-species/

Yea I know just saw it in a field that my friend takes his dog and I'm in need of wood for my smoker but if it's not a hardwood I can't use it

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If it is oak there will likely still be leaves about as they dont wrot easily. Look aound on the floor for more clues. If its a willow and they havent used napalm or nuclear weapons to remove the stump there will be shoots growing.

Last edited:

Rarche2002

Jan 20, 2017
Blackpool
I will get up there and have a look around to see what I can find thanks everyone for the help.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Around here a common practice is to leave felled oak stems as bio caches. Dead oak is useful to a range of insects.
Might be worth checking out the purpose of those lumps before nicking them.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Look closely at the cut end grain. Oaks are very obviously ring-porous, willow (Salix sp.) is not.
The correct ID always begins with flowers and fruits, sure ain't happening here!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Something nagging away at me since I saw this, I've seen big old Lime that looks like your pics; I'll try to get to where I know there's a large one lying tomorrow.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Looks like it borders an industrial estate. I have trouble imagining that trunks would be left in such a place as a bio cache. They look like they are a good three feet plus diameter and it seems more likely to me that the tree was felled, the contractors took all the convenient smaller wood for mulch or fire wood, and left the big hunks for someone with a JCB to move. Just down the road from me some contractors felled a big oak, cleaned up and took most of the wood, but left a tangle of 6-8" branch sections and several 2.5-3' diameter x 3-4' long sections. Left them for many months, just siting on some grass at the edge of the parking area, and some obstructing parking. They came back and cleared it all eventually, but if it hadn't been in the way...?

And speaking of the size, how were you planning to get stuff that size home for your smoker? Chain saw, wedges and sledge hammer to split it down where they lie? I don't think there is any doubt that they are hardwood, but some hardwoods do not make nice smoke. Since the proof of the pudding will be in the smoking, I would probably just get hold of a bit of the wood and try it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nope. Don't think so. Cherries, like all Prunus sp, have simple entire and dentate edged leaves.
This is unlike the first but also has a pinnate-compound leaf of several leaflets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE