Tra

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A really lovely thing is happening among my friends and family around christmas and New Year. More and more we are gifting one another handmade things and its really beautiful some years as I see more people who would ordinarily just buy things decide of their own volition to try and craft something and as cheesy as it sounds it really makes me smile. I have seen a mix of people discover new skills or be a little moved by a personal gift or burst out laughing by something totally random. I was wondering if any of you played the role of santas elves this year and if so what did you make, if you dont mind sharing?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I went to a free Saturday afternoon ceramics/clay class. Some people made 3D angels, some of us just stamped out and built up all sorts of crazy snowflake designs.
Too late for a Christmas finish, I should get them painted with acrylics and mailed off this week. One to each member (8) of my family.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I made my son a 8 knife stand for his Japanese knives, using 3 different woods. The base from a local hardwood ( Ironwood) I sourced locally, the upright where the handles rest from Arctic Birch from the mountain outside the village in Lofoten where we go fishing, and the other upright with the magnets from a piece of driftwood I found on the beach here. Magnets inbedded in bamboo.

I just hope he appreciates it.

Dec 7, 2016
S.Wales
A beautiful film by www.neemantools.com that follows the processes involved in hand-crafting a Damascus Steel Scandi Knife blade, wooden handle and leather sheath.

The finished article is stunning!

To make a 320 layer pattern welded Damascus Steel blade, 5 layers of 3 different steels were forge-welded, folded and forged……
Repeating each step 8 times.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://globalbushlife.com...........The short film is on this site

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I haven't yet, but it's a great idea.
I think people treasure it more for the significance rather than the monetary value.
You just planted the seed , now I really want to do just that next Xmas ...

I saw a thread on here a member made some really cool "bah Humbugs " out of wood ...

And there was a secret crafty Santa effort too...
If I was any good I would have entered but I don't think my recipient would have been too impressed...
Practice makes perfect, I need more time.. 😏

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
I didn't make as much gifts this year as normal as I had too many orders to juggle ( in a sense i made lots of chirstmas presents but they were for my customers to gift to others ;) ), and then I forgot to photograph most of them anyway due to the rush! But here is a phone case I made for mother in law as she loves bees

HalfGoat Leatherwork Hoeycomb Phone Case by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I have given wooden spoons and bowls as presents for the last few years and this year the missus gave out bars of soap and using old jars, bath salts she had made. My mum also knitted a jumper and sewn a cooking apron for my 4 year old son. He hand made Christmas cards for all the family.

My brother on the other hand bought my son a bloody cheap plastic drum kit which,
A: is really really annoying
B: a waste of money as he is bored of it already
and, C: an absolutely thoughtless present.

Mini rant over :eek:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I have given wooden spoons and bowls as presents for the last few years and this year the missus gave out bars of soap and using old jars, bath salts she had made. My mum also knitted a jumper and sewn a cooking apron for my 4 year old son. He hand made Christmas cards for all the family.

My brother on the other hand bought my son a bloody cheap plastic drum kit which,
A: is really really annoying
B: a waste of money as he is bored of it already
and, C: an absolutely thoughtless present.

Mini rant over :eek:

Hey, I reckon your brother may have put more thought into that present than you think 😉

👿🙉🔊

😵

Hey , on the other hand your boy might be a cracking drummer one day!!!

👍👍
In my opinion...
Too many guitarists, not enough drummers... :)

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Great topic! I made some spoons for people... I am a school teacher and I try every year to get my students to think along these same lines. A few actually follow through and do it. I had a few tell me this year that they made things for family members. One girl wrote a poem and framed it. It induced a flood of tears from her grandmother. Another made a scrapbook for her mother. Simple yet meaningful. The commercial items will be quickly forgotten, but not the handmade...

I would really like to see your spoons but unfortunately the link doesnt work :(

Great topic! I made some spoons for people... I am a school teacher and I try every year to get my students to think along these same lines. A few actually follow through and do it. I had a few tell me this year that they made things for family members. One girl wrote a poem and framed it. It induced a flood of tears from her grandmother. Another made a scrapbook for her mother. Simple yet meaningful. The commercial items will be quickly forgotten, but not the handmade...

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I didn't know there was a link??? Where are you seeing a link? You can see quite a bit of my work at my blog (primitivepoint.blogspot.com). Cheers....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE