Thoughts On Mink

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I've recently been tracking along the edge of my local river and found mink feeding sites. Over the years the river has been slowly destroyed by pollution and crayfish and many of the fish and bird species that once lived in the river are now gone I feel a bit tawn, I'm already eating my way through the crayfish but is it right for me to trap the mink or should i let nature take its course knowing that this mink will be taking morhen eggs and more fish(the size and shape of scales leads me to believe its eating carp and barbel). What would you do, any thoughts.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I've recently been tracking along the edge of my local river and found mink feeding sites. Over the years the river has been slowly destroyed by pollution and crayfish and many of the fish and bird species that once lived in the river are now gone I feel a bit tawn, I'm already eating my way through the crayfish but is it right for me to trap the mink or should i let nature take its course knowing that this mink will be taking morhen eggs and more fish(the size and shape of scales leads me to believe its eating carp and barbel). What would you do, any thoughts.

trap it and humanely dispatch it,or they will continue to breed and destroy the habit for are native species

bernie

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Speak to the landowner and see if he will allow you to shoot on his land and shoot the things, far easier than trapping it and then having to deal with an angry Mink in a trap which you will have to extract before despatching it another way.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
There is no chance to shoot as there are far to many people about walking dogs etc.I was thinking of trapping with a cage trap and then killing it at home with a air pistol.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Horrible, nasty vicous thins that make great coats.

Kill them on sight and make pouches from the skins and sell them on here.

Job done. :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm going to shift this to Fair Game.

I think that the best advice on the forum about humanely despatching mink is probably to be found there.

cheers,
Toddy

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
There is no chance to shoot as there are far to many people about walking dogs etc.I was thinking of trapping with a cage trap and then killing it at home with a air pistol.

as earlier said an air pistol is only 6ft pound and not powerful enough for a humane dispatch,but a 12ft pound air rifle is,as it can be used for vermin control ie rats,rabbits,squirrels ect.you can get all the info on mink trapping by just googleing it,hope it helps

bernie

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Where I grew up is infested with them:(. I think Arran is one of the places where you can still get a licence for farming them - simply because any future release wouldn't cause much difference in the scheme of things.
Once one has a taste for your chicken run keeping it way from the eggs can be a real chore and fencing becomes a necessity. They fight the cats. Actually I think cats back them into corners and end up with their faces rippied to ribbons.

The damage they've done to the bird population on some smaller islands is hefty. On the mainland they seem to spread out and don't become quite so big a problem and Arran would be somewhere inbetween, a bad case scenario rather than a disaster area.
On the whole they weren't that big a problem if they kept to the rivers. I doubt if they'd turn their nose up at crayfish so might be helping you out somewhere along the lines. Have seen them eating crabs on a couple of occasions. The population has to be pretty high before they're taking any more fish than the otters, heron, etc.

Having watched four of them systematicaly raid a nesting area on a cliff though, eating eggs, chicks and destroying much more than they really had to. I'd say go for it. The folk I knew who trapped them used box traps, solid walled, dirtied up and set on walls and logpiles where the curious mink would be inclined to duck through them.

Some folk poisoned them but poison is so indescriminate, you don't really know what's going to eat it. Out the other side of the village the farmer regularly walked the river with a shotgun. It must have made a fair improvement in the surroundings as he kept at it for years.
Have heard they can be snared but never met anyone whos done it, just heard stories of it being possible.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
I doubt an air pistol would be able to kill it humanely ( I believe the legal power limit is 6 ft-lbs?) - not sure a 12 ft-lbs air rifle would be up to the job either, maybe the hunters on here could advise?

I've looked into this and The Game Concervacy Trust recommend useing a air pistol more than 3.1 ft Lb.They seam to think that it will kill the biggest of them

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've looked into this and The Game Concervacy Trust recommend useing a air pistol more than 3.1 ft Lb.They seam to think that it will kill the biggest of them

They do suggest that such a weapon is sufficiently powerful - however Defra do not - they suggest a powerful air rifle or .410. On balance I would not suggest or endorse such a low powered weapon without expert instruction on shot angle and placement. By expert I mean a vet.

The defra advice is here

http://www.defra.gov.uk/rds/publications/technical/TAN_02.pdf

Game Conservancy here

http://www.gct.org.uk/uploads/minkraftleaflet.pdf

As always - the responsibility on having the right tool and knowledge is with the hunter, and I suggest that being on a raft with a screaming (and they do - even uninjured) wounded mink is not the time to discover that you do not have the right tool to effect a swift and humane despatch

Red

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
thanks red I am going to take the mink home and I must admit I was surprised to see that a air pistol was seen as sufficent I do have a full power air rifle so maybe I should use this to be on the safe side.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
If it's in a trap, it should be pretty easy to get a humane shot with an air rifle from close range. Another thought I had (never tried this) was to wear welding gauntlets or other long gloves, and pick it up and break it's neck just like with rabbits. Plus this way you won't damage the coat.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Funny thing I really dislike mink but I love to see otters and weasels, seems we dislike animals that are successful and favour the underdogs. Kites were cursed in Dikensian London but when they became rare we loved them. I liked magpies as a kid when there were not many around, still like jays whats the difference?

I loved watching watervoles as a child and mink have had a catastrophic effect on their numbers. Having said all that my personal view is that "control" is fruitless in the way it is normally carried out. It is very rare as with Coypu that a concerted campaign succeeds in eradicating a newly introduced species. I would suggest that if you are in an area as we are that has water voles and few mink that co-ordinated control with all the local landowners trapping could have a short term effect. Otherwise don't kid yourself that the one, six or twenty you kill will have any effect at all on the population level in six months time.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
Funny thing I really dislike mink but I love to see otters and weasels, seems we dislike animals that are successful and favour the underdogs. Kites were cursed in Dikensian London but when they became rare we loved them. I liked magpies as a kid when there were not many around, still like jays whats the difference?

I loved watching watervoles as a child and mink have had a catastrophic effect on their numbers. Having said all that my personal view is that "control" is fruitless in the way it is normally carried out. It is very rare as with Coypu that a concerted campaign succeeds in eradicating a newly introduced species. I would suggest that if you are in an area as we are that has water voles and few mink that co-ordinated control with all the local landowners trapping could have a short term effect. Otherwise don't kid yourself that the one, six or twenty you kill will have any effect at all on the population level in six months time.

I agree that I may not be able to control the population however I would like to try and help my little bit of space. If this mink is a female she could have up to10 young this year if half survive that would be a bigger problem next year when the young leave home I don't think my small bit of river could handle a top predator like the mink.
I was also thinking back a few years when I saw the local farmer on the other side of the bank hunting mink with dogs, I've not seen him after the mink since the ban on hunting with dogs came in. So may be this is one of the reasons why they are back.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I agree that I may not be able to control the population however I would like to try and help my little bit of space. If this mink is a female she could have up to10 young this year if half survive that would be a bigger problem next year when the young leave home I don't think my small bit of river could handle a top predator like the mink.
I was also thinking back a few years when I saw the local farmer on the other side of the bank hunting mink with dogs, I've not seen him after the mink since the ban on hunting with dogs came in. So may be this is one of the reasons why they are back.

your bang on there, after the ban on hunting with dogs,there's nothing to control the population,fair play to you for doing your bit,pity others don't feel the same though.

bernie

UKdave

Forager
Mar 9, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I think a 6ftlb air pistol at 1 foot away would be plenty powerfull enough for human dispatch,i seem to remember that at 30 yards a .22 air rifle only had about 3ftlbs of energy but i could be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE