Thermarest or Airic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Time for me to invest in a new sleeping mat.
what do people think about the Slim Airic from alpkit? are they any good?
do they fit inside a bivi bag okay?
Or shall i splash out on a thermarest? are they worht the extra money?
i was looking at the trail lite and the trial pro
would you reccomend a different thermarest or mat?

Airic £30
Thermarest trail lite £55
Thermarest trial pro £80

thanks

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I use 3/4 ones not the slim ones. I had a thermarest which ws fine, but now use a wee airic and think it's just as good. Remember Alpkit also include a repair kit and straps so the price is really another £5 less than the thermarest ones.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I can't comment on the Thermarest as I haven't used one, but I have a Regular Airic and a Multimat Profile 35.

I think the Multimat is amazing, it doesn't require much extra blowing and really separates you from the ground. Its foam filling is much firmer than the Airic and it self inflates with a good sucking noise.

The Airic is a little wider and the same thickness but doesnt feel as firm, propped on an elbow you'll soon feel that you're on the ground. It also takes much more blowing, in fact it hardly 'self' inflates at all. The website suggest that a few extra puffs may be needed but it's like blowing up a lilo.

I tend to use the Multimat in my tent and the Airic, partially inflated, as a hammock pad. Given that they are approximately the same price I think the Multimat is the better product. Pity as I love Alpkit and their products and sing the praises of much of their gear.

Edit: Just looked at the pricing. The Airic is £10 more than the Multimat Profile 35 making the Multimat a very clear winner. For £30 you get a surprisingly good nights sleep.

Last edited:

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My old Thermarest 3/4 is rather heavy by modern standards but still works well. It was just a bit too heavy for the TGO Challenge hike last year, so I took a chance on a Quechua A100 Ultralight from Decathlon and it worked superbly. Depending on conditions it was used on a thin groundsheet or inside a Rab Survival Zone bivvybag. So far no problems with the valve, which was my biggest fear. The price has inched up a pound or two but it's still an excellent value. They do stock thicker mats in the range, but I can't comment on those not having tried them.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Not used the Alpkit, but not hear anything bad about them.

Thermarest Prolite are the great mats. The vavles etc all have lifetime warrenties and they well made.

Also because they self inflate you dont need to blow inside them, which can cause mold to build up on the inside of the mat from breath condensation.

Add on a trek chair and you are MADE!
tar_trekker_chair_rust.jpg

http://cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest/Seating/Trek-And-Travel-Seating/Trekker-Chair/product

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
I have a couple of Slim Airics as well as a few of the fat ones.

I find the slim variety don't inflate enough on their own. I usually top up with the pump from my son's Exped mat. Without this, I find my backside rests on the floor.

Cheers,

Tom

bivibabe

May 5, 2009
loch eck argyll
If you're willing to part with 80 quid for a thermarest, why not look at Expeds range of down, inflating mats - Toddy has one which she can say no bad things about, so if you like your comfort have a gander at them, I know if I had the spare cash I'd get one faster than it takes to write this reply.. :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
This actually being discussed in another thread...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51365

They look great and are worth it for the extremes, but the weight it massive in comparison to the Thermarest.

I would tend to disagree, the weights aren't really that different, not only that, if you look at the thickness sizes and compare like for like, the Expeds would certainly appear to win hands down. Of course, it's horses for courses at the end of the day, but I'd rather carry an extra 2 or 3 hundred grams and gain a few inches on my bed depth. Having used both Gelert and Alpkit mats at 2cm and 4cm respectively, if I could I would get an Exped. The Alpkit weighs only marginally less that the Exped, and weight for weight, vs comfort level, and thus quality of sleep.. well for me it's a no brainer - but then I'm not as young as I used to be when i could sleep on a bare floor for hours too...

I looked at THIS for comparing Thermarests.

Cheers,

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I hear what you are saying, and you're right. Thickness and R-value of the Exped's weight for buck is great.

I'm still young enough to get away with a 2.5cm in height and be comfy, save the weight and take another can of beer! :)

E

ESLRaven

Depends how geeky your feeling but probably the best way to make a decision is to make a table comparing packed size, weight, cost and thickness of each mat. (If you are feeling REALLY geeky you could make a speadsheet!)

The reason I say this is the 3 you initially mention in the OP aren't necessarily comparable - and thermarest make lots of different mats. (I've got a thermarest trail pro which is over twice a thick as a slim airic when inflated for example)

I recently bought a couple of Airics (a regular and a slim) for friends and they seem like really great value for money but aren't quite as good in the weight and packsize categories as my thermarests.

I guess to a large extent it comes down to use - will you be carrying it far? how big is your pack? is the extra money on the thermarest worth the weight saving?

Hope that gives you some thoughts. :)

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I have a slim airic. It's very good quality and comfy enough but not really at all self-inflating.
Good luck on your hunt - it can be a real brain knotting experience choosing products when there are so many alternative. Airics are great - if you've got good lungs :D

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I use a thermarest when staying in a tent and it's great, but for a night on a forest floor I'm still a big fan of the old foam karrimat. It's cheap, nearly as comfy and rolls up very easy and attaches to the bottom of your rucksack. I'm always concerned about puncturing my thermarest on a stick or something.

Poco

Jan 15, 2010
Manchester
I use a Slim Airic, it's fantastic for the price.

My first did have an iffy valve and deflated over the night, I emailed Alpkit and they emailed me back the same day. They asked me to cut off the valve and send it to them and my new airic arrived two days later.
I have never had better customer service.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE