The passing of "Billy" the Starling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Billy was a fledgling Starling the neighbourhood kids saved from a Magpie and brough to me..
As im the local "Animal Guy".

Billy passed in the early hours after a few days of struggling on with his injuries. He had a fair shot at life and his parents stuck around to try and feed him at points in the day. Ultimately their and my efforts were not successful and Billy has now started the journey to re-take his place as part of the energy that binds us all.

Fairwell Billy.

He made me think of all the creatures I have helped before, especially one of my favorite's a Bluetit Hatchling that I nursed to full health day and night until he was a fighting fit big boy, he stuck around for a few months living outside but visiting me in the kitchen until finally he left me when he found a Female to follow.

I have had all sorts: Magpie, Sparrows, Mice, a Frog who would come out to the sound of my voice for about a month and a domestic Rat which someone had ditched as it had a Huge tumour, a Ditched kitten and my best buddy ever Oscar the Staffordshire Bull terrier who I had for 8 years after saving him from vagrency and helping him to successfuly conquer his mental health issues.

So I'm wondering, what needy animals have you guys had in your lives?

All the best

Marc

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good on you :) I hate seeing an animal in need and knowing that I'm not good with them.
I can tend, feed and water, clean up, etc., but I have no real rapport with most animals. Cats and rabbits apart that is.
Rescued cats and kittens restored to health and full grown into decent mousers :D Rabbits just breed :rolleyes:
That said, most plant type things grow for me, so there's a balance :)

M

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I've never had a 'needy' animal in my care Marc. I've owned much loved dogs, happily tolerated Moggies owned by my late wife and on a few occasions I've tried to bring a merciful end to injured wildlife where it's been totally impossible to get them to someone like you.
So it's good to know there are people like you about that have the strength to care enough to patch up the wild folk that need help. goodjob

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
First post from me :)

I am very much the same as OP...

Over the years ive nursed the following back to full health, and then released them....

Fox pup; Found him on a remote country lane whilst driving home from a meal with the Mrs. We had just moved in together at the time (10 years ago!) He stayed with us for 3 months.

Baby Hedgehog; Again had him for a couple of months, released onto the Nature Reserve by us.

Wood Pigeon Chick; Saved this one from a Hedgehog believe it or not! I was having a brew in the kitchen whilst cooking and i noticed something flapping about on the lawn, went out to have a look half expecting a chick of some sort, put a torch on it and only then noticed the hedgehog had it by the back of the neck and was trying to drag it away!

Baby Rabbit; Came across this one on a bleak early spring morning driving past the nature reserve to work, it was sat in the middle of the road shivering and soaked. I got out the car and it attempted to run away but was so disorientated it ran headlong into the kerb and almost knocked itself out. Few days later it was fine, so released him.

Crow Chick; My dad brought this round to me, he found it on his way up to ours, nursed it to almost adulthood, was just about to fly the nest (id been strengthening his wings for weeks) and i came home from work one day to the Mrs in tears... She had been hoovering, and the chick had been following her around like it usually did, but she didnt notice it pecking up the shake and vac behind her, she found him dead an hour later :(

Barn Owl; Walking home as a kid with my Dad we came across a Barn Owl with a broken wing in the snow in the side of the road. It was Christmas, it lived in our Airing Cupboard until the new year and was taken to a sanctuary where it fully recovered :)

Baby Ducks; Had a few ducklings over the years (i used to have two Aylesburys as a kid) we have a wood round the corner with a small pond, so ducklings were common.

I do find that i can get on with pretty much any living animal/bird. My Dads dad was an RSPCA officer, my dad got his love of animals from him, and me my Dad. My Mrs calls me Dr Doolittle. My dad has owned all sorts of crazy pets (im talking before the dangerous animals act) he had a 18 foot Python that ate his nans cat lol.

His most exotic pet by far was a male Lion cub he bought from a bloke with 3 of them in a sack in Waterloo station late 70's. He said at the time he would have bought all 3 if he could have afforded too. He had it until it was almost 2, when he got a bit exuberant playing, protracted his claws and shredded my dads back! Lion went to Knowsley and my Dad used to visit him until he passed away many years later. Dad was a Skipper of a Trawler out of Fleetwood, and he was always bringing injured sea birds home with him too.

Its made me the sort of person who cannot bear to see an animal suffering in any way. Nor can i bear seeing any animal owner mistreating their animals. I have had more than one physical altercation after taking dog owners to task after seeing them beat their dog.

The only pets I currently have are two bitch Dalmatians Alice and Lola, and 2 Musk Turtles lol. I dream of opening a kennels when i retire, and if i won the lottery, i would happily buy a big plot of land and have an animal sanctuary.

Sorry to go on!

Jordan

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
What a first post!

My great uncle Bill now sadly departed and my Grandad (his brother) saved all sorts of animals through their lives and it was a pretty normal occurance for me to see recovering wild creatures in and around the family.

If I had the money I would have a sanctuary for sure.

I bet the Crow was fantastic, I have always wanted to spend some time with a large Corvid, the Magpie was nice but had a right attitude at times... Lol

I stopped having pets years ago, I get companions now and they normally come to stay for a short while on their journey through life.

Last edited:

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
Thanks mate :) Fellow Nw'er too!

The crow was possibly my favourite of the lot. I'll admit i did shed a tear when she told me what happened! Silly bloody woman!

The hedgehog trying to eat the Wood Pigeon didnt half surprise me though, I know they eat meat (our one loved pedigree chum lol)but to see it actively trying to take it while live surprised me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE