The Adventurers Portable Advisor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
In an uncertain world the only thing that separates the hapless tourist from seasoned traveller is knowledge.
The Adventurers Portable Advisor is your salvation! quietly whispering in your ear the latest news both local & global from across the empire along with transport alerts and weather updates. In addition during those less exciting periods for your entertainment a varied selection of light music, jovial conversation, sports commentary and more serious topical discussion is always available. Fits easily into large coat pocket, works anywhere across the globe and requires no batteries instead drawing power directly from the ether.

APA-01.JPG APA-02.JPG

Reactions: Wayland and JohnC

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Steampunk (?)
Strictly speaking no, technically yes... Patents for crystal radio technology do not publicly appear until 30+ years after the death of Queen Victoria.

As for my little crystal radio set, way to much plastic visible at the moment. Though I think a different tuning knob and the addition of cotton covered wire could give it a more period look.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Time to search for a bakelite knob, and some ex-GPO black headphones, probably supplied with double cotton covered wires. Probably all available from a single supplier :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes.

But the victorians did have plastics....stuff like celluose and vulcanite.

How about cows horn?

Or Buffalo, which comes out shiny and black??

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Hmm.. had forgotten about vulcanite. The hive mind this end came back with a couple of other suggestions: Ceramic drawer pulls and military tunic buttons

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
As for my little crystal radio set, way to much plastic visible at the moment. Though I think a different tuning knob and the addition of cotton covered wire could give it a more period look.

And a hardwood box. :)

Although this does appeal.
hHInhy2_d.jpg

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Update:
Strictly speaking my arts & crafts is supposed to be confined to the shed though for small (less messy) things Jules has relented and in those quiet moments have been slowly working on the crystal radio. It's been a bit of squeeze but just completed final fit and all that is left gluing final pieces into place.

Cotton covered wire turned out to be hideously expensive so improvised with miniature paracord. The tuning knob embossed with Britannia was a surprise find that should please the Steampunk crowd and is in fact a tunic button from the Royal Norfolk regiment.DSCN2303.JPG DSCN2305.JPG DSCN2306.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE