Tarp Shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've seen this before in another thread on this forum. I tried to see my pitching style in it but nothing is quite right. I have a 2.5m square tarp which has 16 loops around the edge, a strong centre loop on the outside and two splitting the centre line in half either side of the centre external loop. The Kathmandu TRekking Basha if anyone knows it.

Anyway I pitch it by pegging out two loops on one side that are just in from the corners at the widest stretch. I then put the spike of my trekking pole in the central side loop on the opposite side and peg out the corners on that side to the same distance as the first pegging points. I adjust the pole to make it taut. Then I guy out the pole, peg out the sides then using a second trekking pole I create a lifter with a guyline from one of the centre line of loops up to the pole with a clove hitch then down to the ground to be pegged out. It is important to pitch it with the central line of external loops running from the back to the main or first trekking pole at the opening as you end up only being able to use the centre loop as a lifter when the outer one makes for more room. I found that out when I first pitched in the dark. You think a square tarp can be used any way but when you are trying to balance over it to loop a guyline through the centre loop for a lifter at the back wondering why it is so hard to do then you realise you've messed up a bit. You also end up with it sloping to the ground too early and your feet can possibly hit the tarp when you're sleeping. A good weather proof pitch in my limited experience. Not sure what this pitching style is called or even if it is the best but I'm able to do it in the dark and it gives me enough shelter for my needs out of a 450g sheet of sil-nylon.

I think it could be called the tortilla pitch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE