Sweden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
Just got back from a fantastic time in sweden it has to be one of the most beautiful places i have ever been to. I stayed in Dalsvallen which is in the Harjedalenin region, the place is 11000sq km of mountains and forest with one or to small towns.I spent most days walking in the mountains looking for signs of bears lynx and moose of which there were loads, i found sign including an old kill site where a bear had taken down a moose, i found fresh lynx tracks within about 300m of my cabin along with bear tracks and scat, i even found some old wolf scat on one of the mountain trails.
A few of my days were spent with a guide called Lennart who took me out in to the mountains to do a bit of bear spotting we did'nt find any bears but the days were still very enjoyable as his knowledge of the local forest seemed endless and he was very willing to tell me everything i wanted to know from the berries i conld eat to the ants which were quit taste. Lennart also showed me the fine art of fly fishing in his dam (small stock pond) and then later on to the local river, we caught a couple of trout then cooked them on a open fire with some nice lingon berry jam.Lennart also provided me with my lunch every day which we cooked in the forest, which was normally reindeer with potatos and carrots as well as some sort of hagis type food made from the stomach of a reindeer,it was nice but quit grease.
I think i may have found my holiday destination for the next 30 years or so, I'm also thinking of a return trip in the feb or early march but it will depend on getting more people to go with me as he does not work as a guide in the winter as he works with sammi rounding up reindeer but for around £550 he reckons he could take about 8-10 people for six days in the mountiains and that would include hire of scooter(snowmobiles) and fuel a cabin breakfast and lunch and some time spent with the sami people and a bit of tracking so if anyone is interested let me know.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A man after my own heart - that sounds like a superb way to have some time out.

Can you PM me any details you might have - I`ve been working on the misses to let me do something like this for a while now.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Myself and the Missus have the first 2 weeks off in September and our Plan A in France looks like a no-go this year. Any suggestions for making Sweden Plan B would be greatly appeciated. Maybe a bit of open canoing could be possible. What is the situation with Mosquitos at this time of year? Where to go, where not to go. :)

Thanks

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sounds like you had a great time. But you really need to post some pics so we can be really, properly jealous ;)

amott69

Forager
Nov 14, 2005
Kidlington, Oxfordshire
Neanderthal said:
Myself and the Missus have the first 2 weeks off in September and our Plan A in France looks like a no-go this year. Any suggestions for making Sweden Plan B would be greatly appeciated. Maybe a bit of open canoing could be possible. What is the situation with Mosquitos at this time of year? Where to go, where not to go. :)

Thanks
neanderthal
Going in september is a great time of year as a lot of the trees will be losing there leave and if you are viewing animals i was told that you can see about 75% more of the land if you are on one of the view points.To hire a canoe the best way is to contact the local tourist information centre and they will be able to hire one for you or at least point you in the right direction but from the information i have it seems you can get a canoe in most small towns.As for mosquitos i was told they were not a problem at this time of year however i was bit to death in the forests but by september it should be a bit better.Also i would get a car the next time i go as buses seem to take forever to get any where however they do run on time.flights are around £100 and at that time of year you should be able to get a cabin cheap pretty much any where again phone the tourist information centres.If you want to go where i went i can always phone lennart for you or I'll give you his number.I payed around 3000 sek for 6 nights breakfast and lunch two bear spotting days and a days fishing that about £220

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE