Sweat lodges.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I fancy having a crack at building a sweat lodge,now the lodge is no problem but what i would like to know is how is best to identify the correct type of stones to use, as i would prefer not to pick the wrong type and have them explode.Any thoughts gentlemen?

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Avoid quartz types, concrete and as someone on Bodmin failed to do at the eclipse - pyrite. Sedimentary rocks and housebricks are ok as far as I can remember.
Realgar

Moine

Forager
CLEM,

The only way to be totally sure about a rock is to heat it red hot once. ONLY afterwards it can be considered safe. That's why, usually, when you built your sweat lodge you carefully keep using the same the rocks.

I have a nice little scar just above my eyebrow that reminds me how dangerous those rocks are. I could have lost an eye, that night... and it was just an egg-sized rock underneath the fire.

As most of the time you'll build the sweat lodge next to a stream, river or whatever, chances are you'll be tempted to pick up rocks that are nearby. Those (often sedimentary rocks) usually, are te worst possible ones, since they are the most likely to contain moisture (even 50 million years old moisture... keep that in mind). Pick up metamorphic stones (created at high temperatures), from a dry, sun exposed, high place... and never, ever trust them until heated red to white hot at least once.

Hope this helps,

David

Edited to add: of course, when you heat rocks for the first time, even if you don't suspect them to be prone to explode, stay well away and don't hang around the fire uselessly. The further you are, the less chances you have to be in the shrapnel's trajectory.

Reactions: CLEM

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Yep - sedimentary rocks are the worst, as these are most likely to have pockets of gas/water trapped in them, which is what causes rocks to explode when they are heated. Also make sure you don't pick rocks from rivers/wet places, as in these cases water may have found its way into the middle of the rock, and can't get out again as quickly when you heat it! :yikes:

In terms of building the actual lodge, although its nice to favour traditional materials, a large piece of plastic tarpaulin is one of the best things to use :) Try and find a natural shape that means you can get away with minimal building work (up against a bank/in a hollow etc). Dig some kind of pit in the middle of this area, and bank up the walls well. This will be your fire hole. You now have two choices - either build your fire in here, fill with rocks etc, leave til the fire dies down and the rocks are hot, and build your lodge round it, or build the fire outside the lodge, and bring the rocks in. The latter tends to be easier and safer, since you don't end up with a lodge full of smoke, or melting the tarp while trying to cover the pit! So, anyway, either way, cover the lodge area with the plastic tarp. Don't be tempted to make it too spacious, as this just ends up meaning you need more heat/steam for a proper sweating! Make sure you leave an entrance somewhere, and try and make this in a tunnel/hollow, so that you move up into the lodge, this stops the steam/heat escaping if your door seal isn't very effective. Also make sure that the door points out of the wind, and then build your fire near to, but not too close to the entrance (this stops cold air blowing into the lodge, stops smoke blowing into the lodge, and means that the air around the entrance is slightly warmer).

Next, try and cover the tarp with as much insulation as possible - branches, leaves, snow - whatever is to hand. The more insulation you have, the less effort you need. Now, also make sure you have a lot of water on hand for the steam - buckets/hosepipe etc, and try and get these right next to the door, or inside the lodge. Practice getting in andout of the lodge easily/without wasting lots of steam.

Right, now you've heated your rocks well in the fire - carry them into the lodge and carefully place them in the pit (use a metal bucket/tongs/something secure - remember these are very hot!) Now get everyone who is using the lodge to get in and sit around and get comfy - a safe distance from the pit. Now, as doorman, you get to grab buckets of water, and pour it slowly over the rocks - using a mug or small bowl is best. If you do it too fast you just cool the rocks too quickly, and the water doesn't turn to steam and just soaks away. Sit back and enjoy, adding more water when necessary!

The last one I built and used in exactly the above way - on a frosty night on a beach in Scotland (using a dune as a windbreak and lodge wall) in mid-March! The lodge was fantastic - we used wet sand over the tarp as insulation so it looked like an igloo, and we all really enjoyed the sweat (there were about 12 of us in it! The running into the sea afterwards was mind-boggling! :rolmao:

Let us know how you get on!

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Match,the tarp method is the how i intend to build the lodge,thanks for the tips.And i will let you all know how i got on.

Thanks for replys gentlemen. :super:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Someone else watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall as well then last night :eek:):

Actualy their quick poly tarp on Chesil beach worked really well from the look of things. But someone should remind HFW that freezing cold water of the Atlantic do not help for filming private parts as he ran up the beach after the cold plunge :) Actually if made me think of the recent thread here on naked bushcraft. Looked like they had a good time and I will def have a go at that sometime.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Moonraker said:
Someone else watched Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall as well then last night :eek:):

Actualy their quick poly tarp on Chesil beach worked really well from the look of things. But someone should remind HFW that freezing cold water of the Atlantic do not help for filming private parts as he ran up the beach after the cold plunge :) Actually if made me think of the recent thread here on naked bushcraft. Looked like they had a good time and I will def have a go at that sometime.
:nana: As it happens yes i did watch HFW,but it just rekindled the idea since i watched Ray Mears build a sweat lodge in one of his progs a year or two ago. :wink:

Anyway,ive got me a big tarp sorted, now to find suitable rocks/stones. :-D

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Carcajou Garou said:
Clem in your sweat lodge will you use medicinal plants to help purify or simply a "sauna" style sweat?
just a thought
Well to be perfectly honest Garcajou Garou i had not really thought about it in this way,i guess i just thought about a sauna type sweat.That said,if there are any ideas that you may have that could add to the experience,then bring them on. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE