sussex bushcraft group broadstone recky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Hi guys
Just had a study period after a physics exam and decided to go up to Broadstone and recky the site for next Sussex meet.
Arrived at office at about 11 then cycled up to ranger car park (at top end of Broadstone)
The plot that they suggest is about 100-200metres from the car park. (D8)
Walking down the track I noticed a lot of clearing work that had been done recently,(lots of shelter material).
The groun is lightly covered with bracken, and blueberry bushes. Lots of small birches as well as the odd beech, and mature pine.
Walking towards ‘our’ fireplace, I noticed another tap about 30meters from the fire place. (not marked on the map). (great news)

Around the fire there is plenty of space for tents (if any are required) and plenty of strong trees, for hammockers.
The main fire pit is just out of sight of the main track, but not actually far from it.
Toilets are about 300metres from the fire downhill. Didn’t go to look at them this time, but I do remember from years ago that they were acceptable. Sorry I forgot.
Note: that in the fireplace there is a small amount of rubbish, as well as the odd coke can around the camp, so I recon we can improve the cleanliness not problem.
I also noticed squirrel activity, and lots of LBG’s.

So here go the pics.

The carpark:
broadstone-3472.jpg

The track left and right:
broadstone-3474.jpg

broadstone-3477.jpg

Our plot!:
broadstone-3487.jpg

The ground cover:
broadstone-3489.jpg

Detail:
broadstone-3491.jpg

Our clearing:

broadstone-3494.jpg

broadstone-3495.jpg

broadstone-3496.jpg

The firepit:
broadstone-3497.jpg

The clearing again:
broadstone-3499.jpg

And again:
broadstone-3504.jpg

Now that really shouldn’t be there:
broadstone-3505.jpg

Shelter material:
broadstone-3506.jpg

Looking north east:
broadstone-3510.jpg

The plantation of mountain ash (I think):

broadstone-3515.jpg

Squirrel activity
broadstone-3516.jpg

A started shelter, in a bomb hole

broadstone-3522.jpg

all in all i think this is a great site, what do you think?
its a little bit more hidden than the d13 site, but we are litereally on someones back door, (there is a house just within view through the trees on one of the pics)
Loenja

Last edited:

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Do you reckon it's worth seeing if any other pitches are available, or shall we try with this one for now and have a full reccy when we are there?

Thanks for doing this Loenja, and some great pics. Looks like a promising site :)

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Hi all,

I know Broadstone like the back of my hand, I have camped there more times than I can remember. It is my local campsite and by far and away one of the best around for scouting/bushcraft camps.

The "D" area of the site is my favourite, and I always request site D17, infact on that site was where I had my first hang back in Easter! I am racking my brains about the house you mention, as it is a very secluded site really. I can only think that it is either one of the houses on the other side of the road along the South side of the site, or, it is the Ashdown Forest Ranger Station and Visitors Centre (which would be well worth a wonder along too.)

I love Broadstone, and it has a very special place in my heart as I spent a lot of my childhood as a scout camping there. It is full of deer and plenty of other wildlife, even at high season when it is full. I'll have to go and see when the next meet is planned now, would be great to go.

By all means though, give me a shout if you want to know more, or if I can help in anyway with your prep. I only live 10 min away.

Rob

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I did a recce last week too! Has the basket making / charcoal camp gone now?

I looked at D8/13 and also N1/2 on the right side and B10/11. IMO B10/11 are the best bushy sites BUT B10 is the closest to the toilet block at around 350m away. For info tho, although not accurately reflected on the map/sat photo, all of Broadstone has trees and some are truly forested. If you can plan your ablutions B10 would be a good bet.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Hi all,

I know Broadstone like the back of my hand, I have camped there more times than I can remember. It is my local campsite and by far and away one of the best around for scouting/bushcraft camps.

The "D" area of the site is my favourite, and I always request site D17, infact on that site was where I had my first hang back in Easter! I am racking my brains about the house you mention, as it is a very secluded site really. I can only think that it is either one of the houses on the other side of the road along the South side of the site, or, it is the Ashdown Forest Ranger Station and Visitors Centre (which would be well worth a wonder along too.)

I love Broadstone, and it has a very special place in my heart as I spent a lot of my childhood as a scout camping there. It is full of deer and plenty of other wildlife, even at high season when it is full. I'll have to go and see when the next meet is planned now, would be great to go.

By all means though, give me a shout if you want to know more, or if I can help in anyway with your prep. I only live 10 min away.

Rob

Hi Rob

The proposed meet dates for the rest of the year are in a thread on the Sussex Group page :)
The next meet dates are Friday 10th - Sunday 12th June.

Looking at Google maps, it looks like the house is the other side of the road or the rangers' station as you say. Do you think it's worth us asking for D17 if it's available?

Thanks

SussexRob

Dec 26, 2010
East Grinstead
Damn! I am up in Northumberland visiting the inlaws that weekend as it's my wife's birthday on the 10th. Ah well.

D17 may struggle to acommodate a lot of Hammocks. T "D"s tend to fill up last, with them being up the far end of the site away from the activity areas, which is why I tend to favour them. That and the top car park makes it very convienient.

I don't think you'll do badly with D13, or any of the sites for that matter. D7 may be a good one, which (from memory) is near the plantation mentioned. D13 would be pretty secluded and sheltered from other campers on the site. Which, that weekend your bound to get a fair few Scouts, and D of E kids.

You're never that far from a loo block. They are ok, bit very tired, and by no means luxury. Broadstone are eventually pulling them all down and rebuilding them, but the site is run by East Sussex Scouts and so funding , as always is the issue.

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just out of interest. Whereabouts is broadstone, looks like a great place to go. Just wondering how far it is for me to travel. I'm in Gillingham, Kent.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like a grand place with lots of opportunity, shame i cant make the next two trips:(:(:(:(:(

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Just out of interest. Whereabouts is broadstone, looks like a great place to go. Just wondering how far it is for me to travel. I'm in Gillingham, Kent.

It's not far from East Grinstead

Kepis, widu et al - hopefully by scheduling dates ahead, we can find some you are able to do! General concensus is that mid-month works well for most people :(

I've now set over the deposit and booking form, and will set up the main list imminently!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE