Standby Generator

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Need your help....

I am after a mains electric generator as standby (Member of family is ill and we have medical gear at home i.e. oxygen machine, nebulizer...etc)

After an evenings research I found the Kipor KDE6700TA...provided it has an automatic transfer switch (ATS) to be a premium choice.....(Very quiet)
(ATS - when your mains goes down the generator cuts in automatically)

Spec is:-
  • Diesel
  • Electric start
  • Quiet
  • 5Kva (OR MORE)
  • Optional ATS.....

Cheapest I've seen is £675 with the ATS or £599 without the ATS switch (Which will still be ok, I'll just grab me torch and hit the big green generator button :) )

Problem is they are in Alcester....(Just missed out on a new one in Rotherham.....last one sold yesterday)

Does anyone know of a seller in the Lincolnshire / Humberside / Yorkshire / Derbyshire area who sells these generators at reasonable cost, if you do they will have a sale today.

If anyone knows of other generators in a similar price bracket that fulfill the same criteria I'd love to hear from you....

Thanks folks :thumbsup:

Tom

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
My parents went with something similar when they were off grid. Parts / spares wasn't a problem but servicing was. Check the servicing requirements of any "cheap" genny you get. Servicing every 100 hrs is not funny if the power is off for a few days.

I've a smaller Kipor and it's great!

TrickyT

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2009
UK
I looked at generators a while a, not a big as the one you mentioned, but a small suitcase type. I went for a 1KW Kipor, told by the sales rep that there were almost identical to the Honda versions but cheaper. He said you can get spare parts and services at any Honda dealer.

After 18 months it started to play up. Took it to my local Honda dealer who told me that they were no allowed to work on them and that Honda had an injunction against Kipor.

I don't know it this is the same for the larger units, but I could not get any spares then it eventually packed up so had to bin it.

Purchased a Honda EU20i as a replacement and have had 4 years of happy use.

Just check to ensure you can and where you can get it serviced etc.

Regards

Trevor

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Make sure your mains isolator's off when you're on the Genny, regardless of whether or not you're getting power from the grid.

Chances are someone's working on the line, expecting it to be dead. Backfeeding the grid is neither popular with the linemen, nor is it particularly cost effective.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Up here we are off grid. Power is from diesel genset and a wind/ solar set up. So my outlook is purely from use rather than being a techno bod.

Having been through several gensets, I have found Lister hard to beat. Though currently running on a Kubota that has done us proud.

In a moment of madness ( twice! ) and thats how I now look on it I bought Kipor. NEVER again.

I have a suitcase type 900watt unit and a 12kva big job. Neither have worked well from day one. I would take a reasonable secondhand lister over them any time.

In fact previously offerred the 12Kva on this forum - refuses to start after last oil change - on board system flags low oil pressure and switches it off. Remains sitting in my barn taking up space.

It will accept the ATS unit from Kipor - has plug socket on control panel for it. However given you require to power medical kit, I really would not recommend any Kipor.

If you dont get sorted and are still interested in Kipor, then you are welcome to mine. No charge, but will need to collect from Morayshire - once the snows melt!

As noted elsewhere, if you are on the mains and intend to use a genset on house circuit, you need to ensure ATS unit activates a cut out from the grid supply.

If you want a smaller unit and can afford it Honda power units tend to be very realiable - definately no relation to Kipor!

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
When i done stuff for the fringe and their out door gigs, it was always the honda gennys that never got mentioned because they jsut worked. Every other brand was mentioned because they were always breaking down.

I would go with honda, excellent service and widespread. Also you can easily hook a couple of them up together if your needs grow. (in your case, i hope you dont have to)

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Good point, one reason I focused on Kipor as they have a great rep :)

Well! After your feedback a rethink is required...and thank you very much for the feedback.....
Consensus points to the Kipor brand being a little lacking in the reliability department....given the nature of the requirement that removes it from the list....

Fortunately the immediate need has been met via a kind offer from a friend of my Father's, visiting today, he offered the use of his backup....backup...genny, it will be more than enough to power the important stuff in the immediate term.

With urgency satisfied this allows time to seek out a more robust alternative...
Honda seems to command some respect in your feedback.....I've got my eye on a 12kv one at the moment, might give it a punt on Monday.

As for your other feedback re ATS unit, backfeeding etc....thanks a bunch....understood and am researching further.
Wow an ATS unit would be very nice, eventually :)

As highlighted the main concern would be to isolate the mains circuit from the grid when the genny was in use.....
Need to look into this aspect a little further but as I understand it....simply throwing the supply main switch on the fuse box would accomplish this?

Thanks for your advice folks very much appreciated.

Tom

Last edited:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Has the local NHS authority not offered any advice? They may be able to point you to a recommended supplier.

The only advice we received from them was that the Grid provider is required to provide a genny after 'x' hours outage (Can't recall exact period off hand)

However! Given the current weather not sure that will fly hence my posting :rolleyes:

Appreciate the continued feedback, many thanks....

Tom

Last edited:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback, much appreciated :)

Well....you may recall...the brief was

• Diesel
  • Electric start
  • Quiet
  • 5Kva (OR MORE)
  • Optional ATS.....

Result, got one for a reasonable price that should get us through.

• 6.5 kva electric start
  • 15 litre fuel tank runs for up to 15 hours
  • hour meter, circuit breaker, low oil shutdown
  • 240/120 volts on 4 wheels
  • Fitted with a single cylinder direct injection 10hp diesel engine
  • Dimensions 910 x 530 x 740
  • Weight 175kg
  • Noise level 69db @7m
  • Voltage regulator (Wont snafu the laptops or network hub)
Very quiet gennie and less than a year old......
I'll be wiring it into the mains and fitting a mains / generator isolator switch...

SDE6500T.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE