Snow & Nealley Axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 21, 2008
Sonoran Desert
Right now I am looking for a decent axe to use around camp. It will have to be able to chop hard wood, split small logs, pound tent stakes, and possibly do some carving. I know there are many axes around that can do those things but the problem is is that I'm looking for something around 23 inches according to the Mors Kachowski test, And most axes I've seen are only 18-19 inches. The one that comes the closest at the lowest price is Snow & Nealley's Hudson Bay camp axe, But it seems pretty unknown in the bushcraft world so I am unaware of it's quality. Can any one help me out with this.

leon-1

Right now I am looking for a decent axe to use around camp. It will have to be able to chop hard wood, split small logs, pound tent stakes, and possibly do some carving. I know there are many axes around that can do those things but the problem is is that I'm looking for something around 23 inches according to the Mors Kachowski test, And most axes I've seen are only 18-19 inches. The one that comes the closest at the lowest price is Snow & Nealley's Hudson Bay camp axe, But it seems pretty unknown in the bushcraft world so I am unaware of it's quality. Can any one help me out with this.

The reason for them not being massively well known on this forum is their availability over here.

The bit is approximately the same size as the Warren "Old Faithful", possibly slightly less cutting surface and the poll is smaller than on the Warren axe. Effectively it's a 1 3/4lb version of the Norlund axe that I have. The Norlund is a very good little axe (the head was given to me by Mors), but the helve and the head are smaller than the Snow and Neally.

There is one person on this forum that uses one that I can bring to mind. SMARTY uses one and as far as I know he really rates it (he wouldn't use something that wasn't capable). From what I saw of it it seemed a nice axe, but any further comment would have to come from SMARTY himself.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
HudsonBayCampAxe.jpg

I have not used one myself and would be interested to hear what anyone else makes of them. How much are they? I just did a quick google and found the picture and some history on the company who have obviously been making axes for over 100 years so should be able to do it OK by now.

Personally I find most of the little axes rather toy like and this looks far closer to a proper axe, having said that the lttile axes do the job and are the business if you are carrying them in the pack. If your camp is near your car I think that axe would do everything you ask better than most smaller axes.

leon-1

HudsonBayCampAxe.jpg

I have not used one myself and would be interested to hear what anyone else makes of them. How much are they?

Apart from only having handled SMARTY's Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay axe I was impressed enough to look into buying one the cheapest that I found one anywhere was for $46 or so and when you add the shipping and customs you may as well double that which is a shame.

However there are other axes with similar design, Hudson Bay Axe is a style so other people do make them, like these.

Apart from only having handled SMARTY's Snow and Nealley Hudson Bay axe I was impressed enough to look into buying one the cheapest that I found one anywhere was for $46 or so and when you add the shipping and customs you may as well double that which is a shame.

However there are other axes with similar design, Hudson Bay Axe is a style so other people do make them, like these.

Leon

dont you do these on your site thro Red deer :confused:

http://www.greencraft.me.uk/products/cutlery.html

ATB

Duncan

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I have a Penobscot Bay kindling axe, worked over by Off The Map Outfiters; I really like it. I had to thin the edge a bit for my needs, but overall, its worth looking at.

Rod

On a new journey
I have both the Camping axe and the shorter Penobscot Axe: both with the same sized head. The Penobscot helve is about 4" shorter.

I would have no hesitation in recommending S&N axes. I find the edge is better set for use in the UK woods that a Gransfors. (I will probably be excommunicated as a heretic for saying that!) ;)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
How mucgh work did the edge take to get it nice and sharp Rod?
I fancy one of these,didn't see them at the WG ( not sure how I missed them!? )
and think the longer helve may suit me.
Cheers.
Chris.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have both the Camping axe and the shorter Penobscot Axe: both with the same sized head. The Penobscot helve is about 4" shorter.

I would have no hesitation in recommending S&N axes. I find the edge is better set for use in the UK woods that a Gransfors. (I will probably be excommunicated as a heretic for saying that!) ;)

not at all mate.

haven't got any experience with the S&N axes myself but i imagine a slightly heavier edge would suit the UK a bit better.

I will look into getting a bigger axe at some point but funds don't allow it just yet.

there is a video on youtube of a young lad carving an axe handle with one of the S&N axes discussed.

andy

Rod

On a new journey
Chaps,

I use a "small b@stard" file on both and then wet & dry to hone/polish; sometimes the fine side of a GF axe puck. I don't like too fine an edge as I find the axe gets snagged too easily in resinous timbers. You couldn't shave with either of mine as they are not intended for carving: mine are for felling, limbing, shelter building and splitting firewood . That said, they will bite it a thumb nail nicely:D The edges are polished and durable, which combined with the weight of the head means I find they're easy to work with for long periods: esp. if I'm building a shelter.

I thought the price was very reasonable. I bought the Camping axe at the WG 2 summers ago: cost me £35. I went with the intention of getting a Gransfors Large Forest Axe (almost twice the price). I knew the S&N was the axe I was after as soon as I picked it up. I bought the Penobscot from Red Deer last autumn, (I thought it was dear, as it cost more than the other, sorry)

I hope this helps

Last edited:
K

keel

I,ve got one, reground it with a linisher for a zero convexed edge and finished it with 1200 grit. Its just ideal now for all my bushcraft work.

028.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE