snakebite question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
soon i'll be off into my next adventure, to be exactly: off to central america. i intend to spend the majority of my time in the country side, either on the farm which will be my base for the time being or exploring the surrounding jungle (only short walks and daytrips until i have gained more experience with this type of environment).

i'm fairly familiar with the snakes of northern Oz and snakes don't freak me out- i actually find them rather fascinating animals... .but that does not mean fancy getting bitten by one (the images of fer-de-lance bite victims looks rather nasty.....)
most of the time i will be on my own, so in case something should happen (despite applying the rules of precaution a good friend on THE Kangaroo Island taught me many years ago) i probably have to deal with it myself.....

as snake bite treatment seems to have changed over the years* and oztralian snakes have a different type of venom: what's the best way to deal with such a problem when you're alone?!:confused: I have never heard of anyone doing it, but as hydrogen peroxide can be used to clean minor wounds-- would it work to remove the venom from the bite?!

(* recently i found even some texts stating that missionaries in the amazon jungle rescued victims by electrocuting them with the battery of an outboard engine, but i'm not sure if that's just a myth--- not that i carry a powerful enough battery with me anyway:rolleyes::p)

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
probably better having a word with the locals, Doctors , Vets , etc who will advise what to carry and how to use it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I believe anti venom is species specific and those snake bite suction cup things arent brilliant and can actually have to re-inject yourself

No idea about hydrogen peroxide. But since the snake is injecting its venom into you, i'm guessing that just pouring some 'stuff' on to of your skin aint gonna do much

My advice......dont worry be happy :cool:
Take normal precautions to avoid the little beggers day to day you should be fine

i know that anti venom is specific to the species, but you need to know which one has bitten you first.... .and it needs to be cooled and i'm not carrying a fridge with me on jungle trips:rolleyes: -- not to mention:getting and applying it....

avoiding confrontation is what i intend to do but snakes have a habit of turning up in places where you least expect them (guess how i come to know that....)-- just a few days ago i almost stepped on a salmosa/mamushi on an overgrown path. it went straight into attack mode and bit my walking pole three times....

i hope it does not sound like i'm over reacting, i just go by the principle "" always be prepared""....... .following local advice is one thing i'm going to do as well!

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Prevention is better than the cure, if there is one, for times you go walking in the jungle maybe some snake gaiters as a leg guard, more often than not snakes will get out of the way when they sense you coming, as you probably know ;) maybe look into some sort of medical insurance with helicopter rescue ?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
(* recently i found even some texts stating that missionaries in the amazon jungle rescued victims by electrocuting them with the battery of an outboard engine, but i'm not sure if that's just a myth--- not that i carry a powerful enough battery with me anyway)

I think they may have done that just to shut them up...........lol

Probably the biggest danger you will face is being on your own,

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Send JonathanD a PM forrestdweller, he's a leading expert herpotoligist, travels all over the world for amphibions, and snakes, and generous with his knowledge.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i know that anti venom is specific to the species, but you need to know which one has bitten you first.... .and it needs to be cooled and i'm not carrying a fridge with me on jungle trips:rolleyes: -- not to mention:getting and applying it

Yeah it sounded like you might want to carry some, so i was just being polite
Its amazing how many people think 'anti venom' is just something you can pop in a first aid kit

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers Dave.

Best thing you can do is carry a phone and have access to emergency services.

Forget the suction venom kits, if you don't know your venoms and which snakes produce which venom, you will make things much worse. Haemotoxic venom attacks the blood cells, so concentrating it all in a big pool around the area is catastrophic. Compression bandages the same. Works for neurotoxins, not so well for haemo.

Electricity.... Hell no.

You can buy family specific anti-venom, which covers a multitude of species in a family like vipers or elapids, but it costs thousands, needs to be kept in strict conditions, and has a short shelf life. I only carry it when I'm days from emergency rescue. You need to be 100% sure of the species that bit you and know the effects of the venom upon the area it was delivered. Knowing how to inject the stuff effectively isn't easy either, it's not just a case of loading up and injecting, it has to be specific and in numerous areas in different doses, and repeated in necessary. You also need to know how the anti venom reacts to your body as it can be as dangerous as the venom itself in a lot of cases. It can induce anaphylactic shock too.

Best thing, know the area, know the dangerous snakes and their habitats, and know the best local contacts for snake bite victims and where to go. Keep calm, and don't move more than necessary,

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies!
as my base will be on a farm i should have a way available to contact the outside world, should i head deeper into the jungle i might have to carry a phone (providing there's reception) despite the fact that i despise the bl**** things.....
JonathanD: i was not planning to use electricity, it was just something i read about (and had my doubts). i've been electrecuted several times in my life by electric fences and once by rock melons and it wasn't funny.....:rolleyes:
familiarising myself with a new area is something i always do when changing locations but it will take some time; same counts for learning the local snakes...
i'm not planning to chase them-i'm just worried about unintentionally cornering them or an unwanted visitor in camp. the same friend who taught me the rules of precaution actually messaged me a few days ago that he never even saw a snake when working (=surveyor) in the central american jungle many years ago....

sunndog: my apologies in case post #7 sounded negative, communication is not my strongest point.....

Fadcode: not having any hominids for company doesnt bother me, i'm used to it and have been on numerous occasions without contact for several days (=when heading out bush in Oz or NZ). right now i'm staying in a small town yet have not spoken to any humans in three days. (yesterday i had a chat with a praying mantis visiting me:lmao:)
as long as i have something to do i'm fine; the farm has also a dog and one or two cats (which will also help reducing the risk of snakes around the house)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Remember that some of the snakes there are also arboreal. In addition to minding where you put your feet, mind where you reach your hands. On my short visit to Panama (long, long ago) the locals were more concerned about Bushmasters than Fer de Lances.

Remember that some of the snakes there are also arboreal. In addition to minding where you put your feet, mind where you reach your hands. On my short visit to Panama (long, long ago) the locals were more concerned about Bushmasters than Fer de Lances.

that will be a new thing for me: one of my friends in Oz ( his failing health did not allow him to go out bush anymore when i met him but he had a wealth of knowledge) told me that there no venomous snakes in Oz who go up into trees. whether this is correct or not- the only snakes i ever saw up in the trees were golden tree snakes which are harmless.... .

how big is the possibility of one of those critters trying to cuddle with me at night (= hammock or "" swamp bed"")?! i once had an olive python trying to snuggle up with me in Oz, but monty left after i politely asked her/him to do so..... (true story)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE