Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'DIY and Traditional crafts' started by topknot, Nov 25, 2009.
there very nice but I think they detract from the knife
I have one of Frenchy's Opinel and firesteel combos in a leather sheath, see down the page here http://www.customknivesandsticks.co.uk/firesteels.htm. I think they are pretty sweet.
Here's my latest. Olive wood. Bit more understated then my usual pyrography but I didn't want to distract from the wood.
Some of my first-try Opinel mods.
What do you think?
Some of those are really nice.
There is an introduction section here where folks are asked to put one of their initial posts, new members are also permitted a single link on one post to a business venture where they offer a service (modifying Opinel Knives), so that members here know what they have to offer. You should look at section 8 of the rules you agreed too when you became a member here.
Nice work though, and hello and welcome.
I made it a drop point instead of a clip, and I rounded the end of the handle
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some really nice work being shown, inspirational.
That's very similar to what I did with mine. I left the blade as a clip, but as the No. 6 pressed uncomfortably against my palm in use, I shaved the end down, removed the orange coating and gave it some beeswax instead. It's brought the beech up a treat.
One of the benefits of the tendency of the handle to swell, I've found, is with the virobloc removed and carried every day in a pocket (No.6 and smaller - a No. 7 or 8 is too long for EDC even without the lock), there's enough stiffness to stop the blade opening of its own accord and your body heat stops it getting so stiff you can't open it.
What's all that stuck in the end of the handle?
now that's rather smart
It saws ok, not as great as a proper cross cut tho. Left just enough flat back for the striker. It was a shame the drill bit caught right at the last moment when I was doing the compas recess and split the wood, it superglued back ok tho!
The ferro rod mod was just an M5 Brass nut and bolt rounded off a bit. Drilling out the bolt was hard for the 4mm rod, in hindsight I should have reduced the ferro diameter a mm as there is not a lot of thread holding it in place, works fine tho!
It has since had a lanyard fitted, shown next to a no.8...
Now that is nice bit of work there.
Ah yes ateallthepies - that makes things clearer. That is an ingenious survival knife solution, much better than those "Rambo" styled knives!
Wow they look good I might have to have a play with my number 8
Just finished my no.8 and no.9, hand carved and finished in boiled linseed oil
Here is my modded number 12 saw.
Before the modification I was getting frustrated by the blade binding due to the handle swelling. There is no nail nick, and very little blade protrusion to grip hold of, so I thought I would drill an opening hole through the blade. The idea was to drill two holes using a carbide bit, and link them with the use of a diamond needle file. I managed the first hole, but when drilling the second, the metal between the hole and the blade spine broke away.
So I lowered the profile of the blade, losing about an inch from the tip in the process, and shortened and thinned the handle (I also eased the clearance around the blade pivot, to make opening easier).
The finished saw is more pocket friendly (when I got the saw it was a lot bigger than I expected)