Scandinavian adventure...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Hello all...

We are in the process of planning a trip to sample Norway, Sweden and possibly Finland this summer and are after some advice, tips and ideas... We're looking to travel around by train and bus, arriving probably in Oslo and departing two weeks later (possibly from Tampere?) We would like to walk in the mountains, possibly climb one or two..? And experience the places and cultures (not just the usual tourist traps)!

So...
  • Must see places?
  • Things to do?
  • Hostels, huts?
  • Cheap eats?
  • Travel options?
Also, what sort of temperatures should we expect in July, August time. We were planning on Hostels or Huts rather than camping this time - save carrying tents and sleeping bags... But open to suggestions!

Over to you guys...:D

Jamie (& Helen)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
That sounds like an interesting plan, but I'd have thought that camping would allow you to get further out of the way, if that's what you want. It doesn't have to be heavy, especially when the tent and stuff is split between two people. Just a thought. There are a couple of scnadinavians on here and I'll let them tell you about the locations.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
We've traveled quite a lot in Sweden and a bit in Norway and had a fantastic time - people are friendly, English is universally spoken, everything is clean. We've mostly been there in July/August and the weather was similar to Northern England - it's been hot (but not too hot), it's been cool (but not too cold), we've had sun, we've had rain!

They have a perception that their countries are expensive, but our feeling was that mostly they're not. Fuel prices are similar and your average supermarket shop is similar other than veggies and booze. Veggies are clearly not grown much in the country and are flown in at great expense - mostly folk eat tinned veg instead which is cheaper. The only booze easily available is weak 2% lager which is quite cheap. If you want anything stronger you have to go to a special store and it's v expensive.

Two final pointers - the mozzies are a major hazard in the evenings - Scottish midge style attacks :yuck: And it doesn't get dark at night. Might sound minor but if you're in a tent you spend all night waking up thinking it's morning and it's not :rolleyes: takes some getting used to!

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Thanks guys!

It's always helpful to get some ideas from people who have actually been there...! Especially when alot of the brochures and websites are aimed more at the "tourist" types!!

They have a perception that their countries are expensive, but our feeling was that mostly they're not.

We found the same with Switzerland last year! It was as expensive as you make it - buy cheaper food, eat what the locals eat, steer clear of the tourist traps...!! (Strong pound helped too I suppose!!)

Anyway keep the tips coming...:)

Jamie & Helen

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Oslo has some fantastic museums by the way. They are clustered together on an island Bygdøy which I think we drove around to but you can also get a boat out from the city centre; the Viking Ship museum is fantastic, there's a very good open air folk museum and various others. We stayed a couple of nights in a hostel in central Oslo. We had a big family room with two bunk beds, shower room and a kitchenette for less than the cost of a hotel room.

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
If you want to eat out, every town/willage in Sweden with more than ten houses has at least one pizza place. The standard menu is a bunch of pizzas, from the basic Vesuvio with just tomatoes, cheese and ham to more intricate pizzas named after local places or local sports teams. They usually cost about 50 swedish. The more classy pizza places also have more intricate steaks and such. Then you have the "Sibylla" places which are hotdog and hamburger joints. They also have a quite similar menu all over Sweden. Local name for those places are "körveboa", literally "sausage shed".

Naturally you have all the big chains like McD, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc and the Swedish competitor Max, which makes nicer burgers than the others.

How are you planning on getting to Sweden and Norway?
One idea is to first go to Gothernburg, see that place. Liseberg amusement park and such, then train up to Ed, walk (or get a ride) to Tresticklan national park. Walk from there and then get the train (or ask someone to drive you :)) to Halden or Oslo. Then see all the fun things in Oslo. I have no clue on the infrastructure in Norway so I leave that to the Norwegians. Anyway, if you get up to Narvik in northern Norway you can take the train back to Abisko in Sweden, really nice place and then train over to Finland and then on to Tampere.
One other way is to go from Oslo to Trondheim, then train to Östersund in Sweden, then to Stockholm, ferry to Finland and train to Tampere.
It is a quite long trip if you want to see everything in just two weeks.
It will not be any problem for you since all three countries subtitle the movies on TV = most people speak english or at least understand it.

norm

Feb 18, 2005
Leicestershire
Hi Nicklas,

Thanks for your comments. Very helpful.

We are thinking that it might be best to fly directly to the northern part of Scandinavia - maybe Trondheim or even Tromso. Cut out the long train journey's from Oslo. (Taking advantage of the cheap flights too). Beyond that we haven't really decided.

We've had some good advice and suggestions here and on Summitpost.org too.

More comments welcome - cheers! :You_Rock_

Jamie & Helen

Sounds like a great trip.
I've spent quite a bit of time in Sweden and Norway over the past few years, and my advice would be that I think you are taking on way too much to try and do Sweden, Norway, and Finland in two weeks. These are big countries!
If you want to spend some time in the remote areas, rather than just dashing from city to city, I think you should pick just one country, and do it in a more relaxed way.
In Sweden you could also rent a canoe for a few days. Try...

http://www.kustleden.com/eng/canoerental.html

or

http://www.naturarvskompaniet.se/eng/

If you go for Norway, I think you should join the Norwegian trekking Association. This will give you access to lots of mountain lodges, some staffed, and quite civilised, some very basic shacks. In the best mountain areas (Hardangervidda , Jotunheimen etc) these huts are often spaced a days hike apart, so once up on the fell you don't have to come back down into the valley every evening if not camping. Have a look at...

http://www.turistforeningen.no/english/

And yes, buy all your booze at Stansted!
Cheers

Weeze

Apr 15, 2008
London
We were in Norway in July two years ago (Sud Trondelag - south of Trondheim) and the temperature ranged from 10 to 25 degrees in 2 days. We were also camping where there was still snow on the ground. On the warm days it got cold in the evenings, even with midnight sun (well almost midnight sun). We were with a large crowd of Norweigans and they take shorts and big jumpers to cope with the changes of temperature.

I can thoroughly recomend it. I may not have liked walking up a vertical peat bog in the pouring rain at the time, but the day after it felt like an achievement. Another point in going to the huts is that you will get traditional food - definitely worth trying

Weeze

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE