1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
    Dismiss Notice

RobEvans bushtool -A prybar that is very good at carving wood

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by Man of Tanith, May 27, 2019.

1. Man of Tanith

Mod

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy
    Recently got my mitts on a rob evans Bushtool
    20190527_164433.jpg
    I've only made a dainty featherstick
    20190525_101159.jpg
    and roughed out a hearthboard for a bowdrill from a piece of willow,so far i am liking it.
    it's a move away from my beloved mora and a beast at 4mm full tang instead of a stick tang however i think it and i will be getting along just fine

pwb, falcon, Macaroon and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kepis

Kepis Bushcrafter through and through

Superb bit of kit, i have a similar shaped knife from another maker that was my go to blade for a long time, it's currently a drawer queen but it will find favour again one day, until then I'm loving my Mora's too much.

Man of Tanith likes this.
  3. Broch

Broch Full Member

That's a lovely and very useful looking knife. I'm a committed fan of full tang knives; I use one every day and it takes a lot of abuse. My now antique Frosts stick tang hunting knife is my drawer queen :) (with a load of others!).

4. Mesquite

Mesquite Anyone for sailing?

It's a nice knife for sure, very comfortable in the hand

5. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

I thought you meant your actual Skookum. It’s a knife I’ve always wanted to try, but one has never come my way. Rob makes a lovely version, but it’s not a Skookum, that’s Rod Garcias design. Rob has always recognised the similarities and differences of his version and the homage to the original.

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/rob-evans-bush-tool.69570/#post-844167

I sold mine and kind of wish I hadn’t, it just needed a bit of fettling of the butt plate to round it off a bit as it was digging my palm hard carving over time. It cut wood beautifully, and I should have done the work on it. I’ve since seen one without the buttplate, just full tang with the wood to the end, I kind of fancy one like that.

6. Tiley

Tiley Full Member

I have a Rob Evans version and two Rod Garcia ones, one in 01, the other in S30V. Both versions are superb tools for all bushcrafty antics but the one I find myself reaching for with increasing frequency is the S30V version. Rod only made three initially: one as a trial, one for himself and one for me. All of them are supremely comfortable in the hand, even after prolonged use. Lucky is the bushcrafter who has either version, I reckon!

Nice65 likes this.
  7. C_Claycomb

Mod

Thread title changed to avoid confusion. I thought the same thing, was expecting to see a Skookum Bush Tool, not a Rob Evans Bushtool ;)

I got to handle one of Robs earlier Bushtools side by side with a Rod Garcia. Rob's handle was more comfortable, but Rod's Skookum cut better, in my hands anyway. I doubt I would have noticed the differences if I hadn't been swapping back and forth from one to the other. Both are dang good knives!

Tiley,
    Interesting that you like the S30V version. I have yet to get the sort of wood carving edge I like on anything with S30V. What sort of edge have you found works for you?

8. Macaroon

Macaroon A bemused & bewildered

Who made the sheath in the first pic, Sam, that really does look 'Skookum' quality?

Interesting thread, I've always meant to pick up one of these by Rob but always seem to get to the party too late; there's obviously a very good reason you don;t see them for sale that often.

9. Green Arrow

Green Arrow Full Member

I really like the look of these, looking forward to getting one.

10. Nice65

Nice65 Full Member

Hang to the Skookums, hens teeth these days.

11. Man of Tanith

Mod

Potton, Bedfordshire or alternatively my own happy
    still playing 20190528_083405.jpg

Green Arrow likes this.
  12. Billy-o

Billy-o Native

I was in the queue for a Garcia in 2009, but we were moving around a lot then and when the moment came I just didn't have the $220 .... that was a time when 1 Canadian Dollar was worth 1 US Dollar... true bargain. One of life's tragedies I have always thought as I was really into getting it. Still am

13. Tiley

Tiley Full Member

I have to admit that I don't know why but the S30V takes and holds a really good edge. It has a scandi-grind on it, because that's what I asked for. I spend a bit of time with a Japanese ceramic stone and then strop with a bit of Tormek paste. I have been using the knife a lot recently on carving projects using box, Hazel and seasoned Ash and it has been fantastic. It could be something to do with the edge geometry or temper but I neither know how nor why it works as well as it does; I-m just delighted it does!

14. weaselid

weaselid New Member

Hi, I'm new here, I would like to say I'm a cheerleader for s30v. My Enzo is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15. SCOMAN

SCOMAN Full Member

Don’t need one but want one.

Green Arrow likes this.
  16. robevs73

robevs73 Maker

I will be making more this year, keep an eye on my YouTube channel and Instagram for an update.

plastic-ninja and Green Arrow like this.
  17. uncleboob

uncleboob Full Member

Would you be posting here? Have no idea when it come to instagram and very rarely visit YouTube

18. John Fenna

John Fenna Lifetime Member & Maker

The same....
    I might well be interested as well!

19. robevs73

robevs73 Maker

I will definitely put them on the makers sales here.

plastic-ninja likes this.
  20. sunndog

sunndog Full Member

Robs bushtools do seem to have something about them. It's the lines of the knife for me just has that certain something.
    I remember one for sale on here years ago with three tubes in the brown or natural micarts handle that was completely gorgeous. I still regret not being flush enough to grab it while it was there

robevs73 likes this.