Reusable fire starter - maybe!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Many of us on here use "magic biscuits" as fire-lighters/tinder. However, they can be a bit messy to make, and is a guaranteed way to upset "her indoors" during the process as you melt the wax in an old tin on the stove (and I speak here from bitter experience!)

The normal use for these in my case is to start woodfires - either an open fire or in a wood stove, and also as a firestarter in my tent stove. However, I got to thinking about carbon felt. Instead of taking a pack of magic biscuits/vaseline cotton balls etc, why not just take a single pad of carbon felt, suitably soaked in alcohol/alcohol gel? It should be recoverable from the fire after use as it should withstand normal fire heat, and be ready to be soaked again in alcohol/alcohol gel for the next time.

Now I haven't tried this out yet, as I've only just had the brainwave:) However, I will try to do so tomorrow subject to the weather, maybe in a woodstove if I can dig one out. Just wondered if anyone else had used this method, because there's very little new in bushcrafting!

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Why wouldn't you just take the alcohol gel and put it on the fire wood? it the carbon felt isn't flammable its not lighting the fire

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good idea- though I can't see myself using it. I have made magic biscuits with a bit of liquid parra fin added to the wax and there's great! We use them for the fronteir stove- very small and don't smell either. You can fit enough for eight fires in an alto ids tin. It's a canoe trip thing, we do the whole birch bark, flint and steel etc thing. But it's a six in the morning when there's ice out and you just want the stove going that a few of them is dead handy :).

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Tilley owners have used a similar sort of thing for lighting their lamps for donkeys years

Good point - they normally use a bit of wick to soak up the meths and improve the pre-heat. Wonder why I didn't think of that, particularly as I use exactly the same - a bit of carbon felt - in my Optimus 8 as a preheater!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Why wouldn't you just take the alcohol gel and put it on the fire wood? it the carbon felt isn't flammable its not lighting the fire

Fair point! However, I'll almost always have some meths/alcohol - not necessarily gel - with me, and meths tends to burn better and longer (and is much more capable of being focussed onto the right place) with some sort of wicking agent. And unlike other wicking agents, carbon felt doesn't burn up. So instead of carrying 8-10 magic biscuits, I can carry just one carbon felt disk and reuse it as often as needed.

Theoretically, that is:)

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Yeas ago I saw a game butcher who had his own incinerator and he used some really fine wire wool with a mix of fine wire wool and ignited it with a 9v batteries. While not reusable as such there was often a clump of wire left down in the bottom, fragile stuff but if you played around with the gauge of wire wool it could work.

Feb 28, 2005
USA
Pumice stone has been used in starting fires for years by soaking it in whatever flammable liquid is available. It's as close as your local store that sells healthcare products and inexpensive.

1281083255034_hz-myalibaba-temp14_3210.jpg

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Sorry if this upsets people but you really should be going narural for firelighting not using home made gizmos soaked in fuel.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Sorry if this upsets people but you really should be going narural for firelighting not using home made gizmos soaked in fuel.

To true really.

I'm natural all the way(chaga, amadou, birch bark, flint and steel, bow drill etc) I only have the manic biscuits for the stove in winter.

I know what you mean though- there are some queer and expensive 'bushcraft' labelled Firelighters selling on the internet.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
As a last resort I rub a cheap lip balm on cotton wool, no messiness at all. When I get out and about again I plan to pick up tinder before I need to make a fire which should make everything more orgasmic, sorry, I mean organic. (Predictive text!)

Depends what you mean by "natural", my Bic rubs a steel against "flint" (manufactured), or are you banning all processed materials which I'm thinking leaves you with a bow drill or flint and iron ore (a knife, being manufactured, would not be natural), and then why stop there, only "natural" clothing, "natural" food, and you can only travel by foot or horseback to get to your camp site. You pays your money and you take your choice.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I'm not saying every one has to rub sticks together every time they go to the woods but there's enough kindling available out there wheather you find it or have to make it (splitting and feather sticks), surley if you want to be a "bushcrafter" and practice "bushcraft" skills then very basic fire making and fuel gathering should always be practiced.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I collect a load of little twigs, put them in my ghillie, squirt a bit of meths on them from a small squeezy bottle that I carry with me everywhere, and light it with a lighter. :) :campfire:

I do keep a few makeup pads (or whatever they are) soaked in wax in the kit too, but only for emergencies. Of course I'd class running out of alcohol as a dire emergency.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE