Real coffee in the field

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I like real (ie made from ground up coffee beans and hot water) coffee, especially in the morning. I know this is a bit of a luxury, but "any fool can be uncomfortable in the field" and I don't see any reason to deprive myself of it just because I'm out in the woods.

Interestingly Nessmuk devotes several pages to making coffee, so I'm not alone in this.

On the other hand - I don't want to carry a lot more kit, especially if heavy, bulky or easily broken, and I don't like bits of ground coffee floating in the cup.

Any tried and tested techniques?

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I have a gadget for making it (you do need pre-ground though) sort of like half a cup with a screw down filter element, all stainless, you pop it on top of a cup and pour water over it, allowing the coffee to filter down... Actually for something so simple it's hard to explain :-D

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I like a good strong coffee too - I usually carry ground coffee such as Java Lava or the swedish stuff sold by Ikea.

Trick here is to fill your billy with cold water and add one spoon of coffee gounds per cup plus one for luck - bring this to the boil and remove from the flame.

Now (and I know this sounds daft) tap the side of your billy 3 times then leave it for a mo.

All the grounds should sink to the bottom of the can so you can dip in your cup without stirring up the dregs at the bottom and then enjoy your strong coffee.

This is an ideal time to use a flexi-cup or a Kuksa by the way - unless you have a ladle I wouldnt think a metal mug would be much use.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I to like a cuppa Joe in the morning,evening, afternoon, mid-afternoon, mid-morning. well you get the picture.

Nessmuk talks about using a cloth filter which been pretty light to carry and idea I was going to try myself.

How do you carry your coffee if pre ground?

James

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
There are two ways I can think of for making good coffee:
1. Espresso
2. Greek

1. Espresso method.
Yes, I'm not pulling your leg, you can have real espresso coffee on camp. Get a Bialetti (or knock-off) screw-together espresso maker.

It looks like a "heaxagonal jug". You unscrew the top half from the bottom half to reveal a sort of funnel that sits on the rim of the bottom half. Take this out. Fill the bottom half with cold water. Put the funnel in place and fill it with ground coffee. Screw the top half down onto it, and set it to cook. The water boils, forces its way through the coffee, through a perforated plate, up a tunnel into the top half.

2. Greek method (or Turkish, or Russian...)
This is like a small, narrow, deep saucepan with a "waist" and pouring lip. I bought a small one (one cup) on Crete, and another (four cup) in Paris. Its called a "kaffeinik" in Russian.
You put one desertspoon of ground coffee per cup in the kaffeinik, and add water (it's better to take the chill off the water, or even get it hot, first). Leave enough room for it to well up. Bring it to the boil, and let it well up, but take it off the heat before it boils over. The coffee grounds float on the top at this stage. Hold it off the fire for a few seconds, and return it to let it well up two more times. Finally, let it stand for about twominutes, so the cofee grounds fall to the bottom, before pouring it into heat-resistant glasses (or kuksoja).

Keith.

J

JeremyH

Ortlieb is the best by far. We have had one for the past nine years and use it regularly. It works, is simple and easy to keep clean. Filter papaers can be a bit of a pain but worth it in my book. Last time it was in use? - Yesterday at Port Mor when eight of us paddled down the coast,
had a beach sausage sizzle and drank fresh coffee - grat pick me up for the paddle home - following sea, four foot swell and high mental concentration! :lol:

S

sam

looking at the filters from ortlieb, they seem a bit big. Across here (holland) you can get packages of individual filters that you put coffee in and just pour your water through.

here's the link (kitchen utensils page 3 ithink?)

http://www.coghlans.com/home.html

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Does anyone know if you can still buy coffee bags? These are identical to your usual tea bags, just with ground coffee inside obviously :roll:

I used to love using these out in the field as they make suprisingly good coffee. I used to get mine from Somerfield or Tesco but since I moved over to using those little coffee sticks liberated from various hotel rooms I stay in I've not been looking for them anymore.

Cheers
Nick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks guys.

Just found Lyons coffee bags in Asda. Individually packed in sealed foil pouches, so very handy.

They do warn you that although it will turn the water brown and smelling of coffee instantly, you do need to give them three minutes to brew.

Tried them and very good - not quite as strong as I like, but still good.

I guess the other methods make better coffee but weigh a bit more.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Doc said:
Thanks guys.

Just found Lyons coffee bags in Asda. Individually packed in sealed foil pouches, so very handy.

They do warn you that although it will turn the water brown and smelling of coffee instantly, you do need to give them three minutes to brew.

Tried them and very good - not quite as strong as I like, but still good.

I guess the other methods make better coffee but weigh a bit more.

The kaffeinik that I mentioned is useful for heating water for dry foods like powdered soup and noodles. If you're going to use coffee bags, you still need a billie can or a kettle to heat the water, so I don't think weight is much of an issue here.

Also, although I didn't buy mine for camping, both are quite light; the Cretan is aluminium, the other is thin Chinese stainless.

Keith.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Fantastic, I love coffee, but haven't found the ideal field solution yet.
I knew folding filter holders were available and have been looking out for one for years. So where can i get the ortleib filter?
I currently use an enamel coffee pot, just let the grounds settle, pour it gently and dont drink the bottom bit.
I do the same in my mug, let it settle and sup it through me teeth :-o
Cheers
Rich

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I love coffee but never bothered about whether it's 'proper' filtered coffee or not. I'll take it any way! :twisted: My favorite camping java is the Rocket Fuel brand ... a GREAT way to start the day! :cool:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
mmm Rocket Fuel - i still have cravings for that stuff and I gave it up two years ago :shock: Had to stop as it was making me twitchy and stopped me sleeping at night if I had a cup after about 10am... :lol:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
EDs wrote
Rich,

Get your self an ibrik/kaffeinik the only way to make coffee.
where? i still can't picture it, any chance of a link?
Cheers
Rich
PS Just bought some Coffee bags to try this weekend :wink: (well i couldn't go without now could i)

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
If youre an espresso addict theres only one way to go, you need a mini mocha pot, these are widely available in outdoor shops. Mine gets used several times a day at home because it makes a perfect size double shot espresso for one and my other half dont like real coffee ;) nothing else comes close, instant, filter, caffatiere...(except greek/turkish which is good too)

Mind you, Im quite fussy about using freshly ground beans of my preferred type but I havent yet resorted to carrying a grinder!

Heres a pic next to an old Primus for scale. My only complaint, its made of aluminium, would like a stainless one!

mocha.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE