Pukka Kit or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Found a link to this bit of kit.:eek:

http://www.survival.com/atax.htm

So opinions please, good gear or just an american gimick.

I like the picture of his skinned knuckles on the front page, he has obviously been using this tool.:lmao: :lmao:

Looking at the price and the current pound against the dollar I have to admit I am a little tempted, even if it does turn out to be a bit naff, just for the curiosity value.

Have any of our brothers on BB seen this or any reviews on it?:dunno:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Natty, batty or tatty? I call batty. :)

Where's the tool for removing boy scouts from horses hooves?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Hmmm, I always think that tools which are developed for a mutlitude of tasks never match the performance of tools developed for specific tasks. However, as a compact emergency 'survival' tool this may have its uses.

I'm about as far from being a skilled bushcrafter (or survivalist) as you can get though!

I have a little tool I always take fishing with me, not sure why, its one of those cards thats a knife/ spanner/ compass/ bottle opener. I have to say I have never used it in preference to a dedicated knife/ spanner/ compass/ bottle opener...ever.

Warrigal

Nov 11, 2006
Brisbane Australia
I have Some Ron Hood DVD's And I like his style. But I'm inclined to agree
"a comprimise doesn't do either job properly"
The more jobs a tool is supposed to do the less suited it is to do most of them.
The only thing I thought was cool was the ability to use it to an axe.
I'd still rather a good solid convential drop point.
But thats me.
Carl

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Geez, get proper tools instead. How on earth does people think that 'thing' would be better than a sturdy fixed blade? Making it into an axe? That's just silly, does anybody seriously think that those sticks he attached to it would hold up when splitting logs? Slingshot? Come on, why? Different bearing/inlcining scales on the blade? Why, oh, why would you need that? Carry a compass instead. Socket for firedrill? Ok, maybe that's a good point if you had a knife like that, since you wouldn't be able to cut it from wood.. Skinning? Which sharp knife doesn't skin? Hammer and prying tool? Get real, if you have nails you bring a hammer, end of discussion.

I feel sorry for people who bought this thing, they should spend time developing their skills and self confidence (in the sense of self reliance, I'm NOT implying that people who've bought this have low self esteem if anybody thought so) instead. Spend your money on quality tools instead.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I just can think of one thing when i see this..... Damn this is really one piece of FUGLY equipment you can carry around. And can't see the practical use of it.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Geez, get proper tools instead. How on earth does people think that 'thing' would be better than a sturdy fixed blade? Making it into an axe? That's just silly, does anybody seriously think that those sticks he attached to it would hold up when splitting logs? Slingshot? Come on, why? Different bearing/inlcining scales on the blade? Why, oh, why would you need that? Carry a compass instead. Socket for firedrill? Ok, maybe that's a good point if you had a knife like that, since you wouldn't be able to cut it from wood.. Skinning? Which sharp knife doesn't skin? Hammer and prying tool? Get real, if you have nails you bring a hammer, end of discussion.

I feel sorry for people who bought this thing, they should spend time developing their skills and self confidence (in the sense of self reliance, I'm NOT implying that people who've bought this have low self esteem if anybody thought so) instead. Spend your money on quality tools instead.
I wouldn't buy one for most of the above-

I would suspect that you would end up with a lot worse than skinned knuckles before you became competent with this "multitool"
I'm not keen on the fact that the blade is exposed when ever you are using (I think) any of the other functions
Where's the polished bit for signaling passing rescue aircraft/ships etc.
It looks like it would also get in the way and catch when attached to a belt.
It reminds me of the sort of "little bit of everything" tools of the early 80's, none of which were much use for anything other than talking about-you know; the survival credit card things.
I'm not saying it's crap, that would be unfair without actually handling and trying it out.

On the plus side, it's not that pricey given the current exchange rates and if your into "gadgets" well it certainly ticks that box.

It appears to be well made but again, you cant really tell.
I would definitely stick to my own combo of utility knife, mocotaugan and hatchet

How about the maker loans one for an extended test drive?
regards
R.B.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:confused: Why would anyone want a tool to do all that? Every single function is somehow or other encumbered &restricted with the need for the tool to be able to do something else too :rolleyes:

"One tool to rule them all", mentality just doesnae work in practice.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s I actually use one of those little swisscard things, mostly 'cos it's small and legal in my handbag....I've used it to fix a bus's windscreen wipers, remove skelfs, file my nail and write notes so far, it's just a wee handy thing at the bottom of my bag. I don't think it's anywhere like in the same league as that thing. Besides, mine's PINK :D
atb,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
There are always attempts to come up with the "does it all" tool but they always end up doing it all badly :( I think the skinned knuckles say it all.

Oh and toddy those little Swiss cards carry a fixed small "fixed" blade and ridiculously enough are still illegal to carry without reason :confused: so please be careful ;)

There is an old ex military guy who recently tried to get onto a train with one and was arrested and cautioned for carrying it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So it does :eek: D*mn, even wrapped in pink plastic it's a fixed blade :(
I wonder if I can somehow remove the knife edge enough to make it okay. :dunno: I think it's the only bit of the tool I haven't used, the scissors are more useful.

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
So it does :eek: D*mn, even wrapped in pink plastic it's a fixed blade :(
I wonder if I can somehow remove the knife edge enough to make it okay. :dunno: I think it's the only bit of the tool I haven't used, the scissors are more useful.

cheers,
Toddy

I wouldnt worry too much to be honest, just make sure that if you are going to any high security type of places such as airports etc its prbably best to leave it at home. Failing that if you did get caught with one such as the guy that was caught on the train just hand it over as they are only a few quid and make your excuses ;)

I do agree with the current law as it does keep ejits from going out armed to the teeth with all sorts of sharps but the FIXED blade part of the law when the blade is under 3 inches is a bit daft IMHO.

:)

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen
It's illegal too.

Most customs officers would probably regard that as falling into the definition of a push dagger. You could try and argue that it isn't but I doubt you'd have much success.

From the Schedule to the Criminal Justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988 (SI 1988 No. 2019):

(e) the weapon sometimes known as a ‘push dagger', being a knife the handle of which fits within a clenched fist and the blade of which protrudes from between two fingers;

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay, I'm going to buck the trend.

Good on the inventor! I like to see people thinking about problems, trying to solve them, being innovative.

My perceptions have changed a LOT since designing a few tools myself. Its hard. Would I buy this tool? Probably not. But someone, somewhere has tried to create something "new" something "better". 99% of such things fail - my own humble efforts ( the PFK etc.) may never be world beaters. But the guy tried.

Good luck to him

Red

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
good idea must of took some time designing,I dont think id buy one though. if i got hold of one to borrow id probably try it out.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Am I brave enough to side with Red on this or not.....
It sure is a different way of thinking about all the niknaks, gadgets and gizmos that we all seem to be in favour of. To be honest after seeing a few of the photos, I anticipated a price of around the £20 mark but got a real suprise with the $200 tag. Its also a case of "loose one loose all" and some of the claimed abilities are mere information anyway - nothing that a plastic coated sheet of paper can't do equally as well. It looks reasonably large in the hand and the British Police would have a field day with it.
Sure I'd like to take one out and find its failures, but I'm not convinced that I'd queue up to get one myself.
In essence, good luck to the guy if he can make his fortune out of it - I wish I could invent something to sell for $200 and then convince society that they ought to have at least one each.

Ogri the trog

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Am I brave enough to side with Red on this or not.....

Sure I'd like to take one out and find its failures, but I'm not convinced that I'd queue up to get one myself.

Ogri the trog

All I can say on this is that EVERY batch they make sells out within days....
Must have something going for it....
There again, it's designed as a "survivalist's" tool rather than "bushcraft"....:dunno:

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I was quite taken with it until the end, where it said something like - think of the poor sucker who annoys you when you flail with this.........

I'm afraid the word I said wsn't nice. Other than that, I think it's nifty and if not too much might make a handy lump in a rucksack.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I'll side with Red on this one, don't want one but can see the attraction. We tend to like our tools traditional here but I'm not against an attempt at innovation, or at least that's what it seems like to me. So good on the person that came up with it. I've seen far worse attempts. It is gimmicky but if I were stuck with one tool, I'd rather have the ATAX than this ...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10040

The ATAX is too pricey though, but then they do seem to sell out fast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE